WARNING about clicky CV Joints / UJ's

If your cv joints start clicking on less than full lock

CHANGE THEM AND DONT DRIVE!!

nearly stuffed my VR into the central reservation as the joint collapsed jamming the steering and preventing me from turning to the right. !amazed

now considerably lighter in the wallet following a 60 mile recovery :(

Devilfish....

sh*i mate,that could of been alot worse,ive just had my inner cv drivers side done on tuesday but had been driveing it for approx 3 months without a problem apart from the clicking,i feel very lucky after haering your story,maybe i should of done the lottery tonight? jay

oh yeh you can hear it from inside the car no probs but only when the window was down,my problem was working out what side or inner or outer was clicking,wasnt easy as it was only clicking on right turns,never made a sound on left turns or in a straight line,never made a sound on a ramp only when driving and under load.jay

no mate a lot of wasted money told me what side had gone,all inner and outers had no play in them at all so i was told it was the drivers side outer making the sound,replaced that and it was still the same,then i was told it was the passenger side inner and again changed that one but still the same,then changed the drivers side inner as the sound was getting louder buy now and i was sure it was drivers side as the sound was alot fainter when listening from passenger side and at last on tuesday i was driving home without that bloody clicking sound,the gaiter was unmaked no tears or lose of grease but the bearings must of been shot through wear? jay

Mine makes a whurring noise when I do a 3-point turn or similar and the customary "power steering" hissing sound when it is right on full lock but not a clicking noise. I have assumed the whurring noise is just the power steering and the fluid. Or am I wrong? Is the clicking very distinct and very different from a whurring noise? I had a full service only in August. How much is it to get the CV joints sorted at a garage?

whurring noise is just the power steering pump as you said mate and you got nothing to worry about there,cv`s are a strange thing mate,alot of us have had problems with them and its all been different symptoms for most of them,your never really sure you got probs till its to late and then you gotta find out what cv you got probs with,theres four to pick from,failed cvs can be anything from a rumble when driving or a clicking sound,mine never clicked in a straight line or full turning,only on a slight right turn,these forums are great for helping each other but we all tend to go looking for a problem on our cars when other members have problems,i know coz im the same,jay