Re-wrapping engine wiring loom

Now I've got my engine bay stripped down, I've noticed that the wrapping on the engine wiring loom is in a terrible state. In fact, most of it has disintegrated and fallen off.

The loom is definitely going to need re-wrapping, but I'm not sure whether normal electrical insulation tape will have sufficient heat resistance - the loom actually touches the engine in several places and I don't want anything catching fire!!!

I noticed at E38 that several of you have re-wrapped your engine loom and I was just wondering what you used?

You can try self amalgamating pipe repair tape. It's initially tack free but when you wind it round the looms tightly, it bonds itself together and forms a very tough and long lasting wrap. The VW cloth wrap only lasts a few years and then tack dries out and you're left with the familiar lengths of cloth dangling about aimlessly in the bay.

Gone are the days of MK2 looms sheathed in plastic tubing. Cost cutting you see. Even current BMW and merc looms are cheaply bound with low grade tapes, even regular insulating tape in the X5!