Right then, had my new steering rack fitted today including track rods and ends etc.

First thing I noticed when I drove it away, the knock this was supposed to have fixed was still there....good start I thought.

Secondly the steering seems really strange now. When I turn left it is really light untill I get towards the end when it gets really heavy again.

When I turn right it is heavy then abit lighter??? It just seems all over the place.

I'm wondering if they just got the tracking done and it needs full camber alignment again, but this surely wouldn't make the steering seem heavy then light through the lock.

Will obviously be going back in the morning, just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

Cheers guys and gals :)

sounds like camber to me too, a 4w alignment is the only way to spec it up as it should be and will cost you around the 45-50 token mark if you dont give it to an audi dealer! most vw garages will only take it to audi anyhow if you book it in for that as they have the breizbass equipment needed to do it!

Cheers peeps, they seemed to think the camber won't have been effected as its only the track rod ends that have been touched, which makes sense I suppose.

Still not sure about the knocking, its certainly not as bad as it was, but there is deffinately still a noise, need to drive it for a few more days and try and figure out when it does it etc so I can go back and show them.

Steering is terrible though, went to pull out of my works car park and almost hit the gate because it didn't turn to full lock. &| :@

when you find out mate- make sure you let us know- ive still got the same issue on mine.... had the MOT so it cant be bushes etc (you'd think!)

had a defective inner track rod replaced too- still knocking.....

im thinking either wishbone bushes (being really paranoid i wonder if one of the bolts going through the wishbone into the subframe is snapped??) or top mounts... it happens on lock and alternating gradients...

Fook Jon...what's going on with that then??

I'll ring you later.

You didn't ring me dude !mistrust

Warren, that does sound pretty similar to my knock mate, it usually happens when I am pulling off my drive, at an angle whilst turning, nearly always at slow speeds though.

This evenings update is that it is definately still knocking, pretty much as bad as it was before ~:(

And the steering is still terrible. Haven't been back yet, will go in tomorrow if I have time, if not friday as i'm not at work.

Will keep you posted though.

forgive me, but could this be an inner or outer cv joint "locking up" i had a simmilar thing with a mark 1 golf, it was fine for a time and then it would knock at certain points of steering then somtimes in a straight line at low speeds it also had the affect on the steering you describe as though stuck with like a tugging feeling on the steering?, and all this was an inner cv joint so worn the bearings kept moving into ridges and locking the joint and making the steering really tight as you turned, just a thought as it sounds the same.

the noise you are getting sounds like the bottom ball joint you will here it at low speeds going over bumps or kerbs at a drive way especially on lock,these are the exact symptoms my car had .at first inspection ball joint seemed fine ,but with pressure with a bar you could see wear its worth a try mate.

i had a similar issue before mark, and it turned out to be the wheel bearing- it wasnt making much of a noise either... there was just slight play there when you rocked the wheel. But seems to much of a coincidence that it happened on the way back from Stealth..... good luck mate, as usual let us know... i need to get mine in the air to have a poke about- i did have the use of a 2 post ramp but theres fat chance of that now since i moved.....

mmmm if that happened to warren after a visit to stealth then maybe???? having your motor on a rolling road overheats your wheel bearings causing premature failure? i know a guy in club gti who had his rear bumper go up in flames and melt on a rolling road when they ragged the nuts out of his mk2 16v gti !!! the garage said it was already like it!!! yeah righto! i know they do give them a bit of stick to get the figures and maybe that enviroment affects stuff more due to the heat and pressures put on the drive?

suppose it would be hard to replicate air cooling the entire underneath of the car like when driving and certainly not at those revs!!! when i had my rallye worked on at jabba sport they had a j reg supercharged vr6 corrado on the rollers! that was getting a real beasting too! sounded like a harrier jump jet taking off!

lol- sometimes i think its the way i say things! and you havent heard me speak yet! What i meant was that i had a similar problem- nothing to do with Stealth or rolling roads..... but then 4 hours worth is a long time. If youve got a decent jack chief, up each corner- and hold the wheel north and south, and rock it- youll soon know if a bearings on its way out- that'll be your issue. If a CV joint is gone then thats easy to tell- full lock(do it both ways) and turn slowly- it'll click, or you might feel play when you turn....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update on this.

The steering has atleast been sorted.....the internals of the new rack weren't central so they took it apart, straightened it all up and things are much better now.....still not hugely convinced its right but will drive it for a bit longer to see if things improve.

As for the knock....well its still there.....they put a new ball joint on the drivers side and phoned me up and told me it wa sorted, when I picked it up I reversed out the space and imediately I turned the wheel....clunck....god knows how they missed it again.

Oh well, after what people have siad i'm still convinced its either the nut underneath the top strut nut (i'm not sure if they checked this one or just the top one....or the cv joint....these seem to be the most obvious things that could be wrong......I'll keep you updated.

mmm how frustrating!! its got to be either an inner or outer cv joint or suspension related, if it only does it under load from the gearbox or wheel rotation/steering, really sounds a pain in the ar5e! hope you pin it down soooon! how low is your car? sometimes that can have an effect on cv joints as i found out with the rallye! if they travel too "level" ie parralel to the road! it puts loads of strain on them and the diff/drive hub, did you change the rubber bushes on your top mounts if you`ve lowered it? and have they checked its not an un-seated/or broken spring? if your not running coilovers? sometimes lowereing springs drop out of the cups in the leg when they are jacked up in the air once the cars lowered down again they sit pissed either top or bottom or both!! i know that sound a lot to check but its only visual most of it!

Running coilovers so shouldn't be a spring problem, all the rubber were changed as well so they should be fine.

Its dropped about 60mm and is set as stiff as possible. Pretty certain that that is why there is a problem.....10 year old components suddenly having to act like a sports car on bumpy roads....not a good combination :P