MK4 4Motion dangerous in the wet

Hey guys. 

This one has me stumped. My MK4 4MO is very very twitchy in the wet. This morning on my way to a course it felt like it was aqua planing all over the road. I couldn’t go over 60 mph as it was just to dangerous. 

The tyres are all fairly new although the budget end of the market. It does this on the oem 16’s with winter tyres too. The car has lowering springs and shocks and my mechanic says all the bushes are in good order. I’ve serviced the haldex etc but haven’t changed the diff oil yet. 

In the dry the car behaves fine but as soon as it’s inclement the back end wants to break free at will. 

Any thoughts on what this issue could be? 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Danny306gti said:

100% that will be your tyres. Get some quality tyres on and you will k ow the difference straight away.

It’s not the tyres as I’ve have 3 sets of wheels for it and it does the same on all of them. I’m starting to think the issue lies with the haldex pump itself and continually activating or pulsing. 

1 hour ago, GavinNI said:

It’s not the tyres as I’ve have 3 sets of wheels for it and it does the same on all of them. I’m starting to think the issue lies with the haldex pump itself and continually activating or pulsing. 

Thats very odd then. I wonder if a dyno run will help point you in the right direction. Very interested to find out the cause of this.