The fleet + V6 4MO turbo project

Ok first things first are the family wagons. 

Having owned VW’s since I was 23, I’ve not had that many tbh and still have one I bought myself for my 24th birthday (38 now). 

I’ve had two MK 3’s, a Polo breadvan and a random E36 318i touring before finally ending up with the four cars I have now. 

My daily is a boring old 05 Passat Highline Derv which I bought as a Cat D at well less than market value. It was a one owner car and had been serviced exceptionally well. I had the whole thing pained when some numpty in a DPD van decided he would just indicate and drive into the side of me. I also added an economy remap, factory xenons, W8 bumper with headlight washers, 312 brakes, 16” sport wheels, and a full dab system. Car is going strength to strength at 180k mikes so far. 

7AF059DF-971E-42D4-A04F-3F5E25EEB22B.jpeg

Edited by GavinNI

Next up is the wife’s and kid carrier. A 2010 A6 Le Mans 2.0 CrTDI. Totally standard bar the full ceramic coating. Great comfy cruiser for the family and this was a very low mileage example. It replaced her rare Seat Toledo sport TDi that had a full Cupra kit, hybrid turbo, big brakes, and some 220bhp on tap. 

263BA429-0EA9-46D4-96C5-5F5A0F9E8173.jpeg

62169F90-32BC-4CF2-BEB2-BCD3B7254186.jpeg

Edited by GavinNI

Next we have the car I bought myself for my 24th birthday. This replaced a MK3 GTi 8v and was a totally standard Bora S model with steel wheels. I was it’s 2nd owner and it was only 2 years old when I bought it. 

I had the intention of making this 4 Motion eventually with the full drivetrain and motor from my Golf. I even bought a genuine 4 Motion Bora boot floor form the dealer but the more I plan the conversion the more I’m talking myself out of it. I may however buy a cheap V5 for parts and convert this form the derv it is now to the V5 and try a budget eBay turbo build. 

I’ll not bore you all with the spec apart from that everting has been touched and yes it’s derv but has been RR’d at 230+bhp and 350+lb/ft

797F1CD1-3925-4FC3-9F17-EEE2E962B658.jpeg

0E6D97E3-988D-4D24-AEDF-70C683903600.jpeg

7F2614D9-EF92-42BE-B6B3-BEFB66DB5620.jpeg

Edited by GavinNI

Now the real reason I joined up and enough of the diesel nonsense. 

Originally as I said I bought this 02 4MO with the intention of using it as a donor car for my Bora but that’s probably not going to happen. 

This was a cheap 108k 4MO I picked up

for £1500 in 2017. It has factory xenons, heated sport leather, and full service history.

As I bought it and after a darn good machine polish. 

D9F67598-9312-45E3-948C-19C1399F65BA.jpeg

Then the mods began and I picked up a dirt cheap Miltek cat back, custom cat delete pipes, ramair CAI, some used BBS CH replica wheels, and I added some bora sport clocks with miles to empty and the needle sweep. 

EA4D8131-14F9-467C-B98E-0991958C0821.jpeg

224113F5-108D-4ACC-8BB5-3DAE8F56953A.jpeg

Edited by GavinNI

Then it was time to start gathering parts for the turbo build which hasn’t progressed to far, as I was made redundant and couldn’t justify spending money on it bar essential maintenance etc. 

My list of parts is as follows 

Manifold T3

Turbo PTE BB 62/66 CEA GenII .82AR

Wastegate PTE 39mm

SP oil filter housing for feed 

Short Runner 

Oil cooler 

4” mag

Custom DP

1000cc injectors probably ID 1000’s

044 fuel pump in surge tank 

Spacer gasket 8.5:1

Arp head studs 

Aem wideband 

Boost controller 

Ebay FMIC

Clutch, recommendations 

3” custom exhaust and 2.5” custom IC piping 

Software, unsure for now

Sai and Egr delete 

Recirc valve 

Arp rod bolts 

New chains, guides, and tensioner

R36 bearings 

My goal is for a solid 500 whp and I’m open to all opions out there and especially ones from those that have been here and done this already. 

To date I have purchased the precision turbo and 034 motorsport T3 manifold 

90171C99-7AB0-4EDF-9A21-A1BDDF51B964.jpeg

C0E7BEA9-2402-49FC-A534-5CEB5A7997FB.jpeg

DACECA95-F669-478C-835B-28543F9A28B1.jpeg

F5A1D838-D636-4546-B617-7292F04DA9CE.jpeg

260471F9-2F7E-4D10-AC2D-CE7D37DA3497.jpeg

DF81EDD8-B987-4ED3-958E-542959095AED.jpeg

Edited by GavinNI

Some tasteful mods there, I like!

Clutch options would generally be something like a single mass conversion from Sachs or similar from someone like a US company, Clutchmasters etc, generally about a grand or so with more chatter but good pedal feel, you'd be limited to about 450lb/ft of torque with something like that usually though. If not a daily you could prob use a 4/6 paddle grabby one which tend to hold a little over 500lb/ft depending on make, the US companies do some good variations of them. Ultimate high power daily you'd be looking at a high tq multi disc one for a good couple of grand - all depends on your use, budget and what your left leg enjoys!! You could always stick a DSG box on! ;)

In terms of software and the build, on OEM you'll need it code patched to single 02 with that exhaust manifold to stop the trims going out as you'll not be using the two probes like if you had an HPA exhaust manifold or tubular with bosses. On stock ecu you may struggle with 1000cc inectors for dead times but ID are very fast so depends on the times without looking at them, most I've done on oem will use Bosch 550 or 750's and I'll change it to a 4 bar base pressure set up for more headway.

If you go standalone, a lot of the Germans use KMS on theirs for big power and it's not overly expensive in terms of standalone, or your local tuners may use their own standalones and/or simply depends on who you get to tune it. Some well known companies have their own oem ecu set ups and so builds can often centre around the tune and this also dictates your injectors too usually so best to concentrate on that area first I would say.

On 20/01/2019 at 8:25 PM, RBPE said:

Some tasteful mods there, I like!

Clutch options would generally be something like a single mass conversion from Sachs or similar from someone like a US company, Clutchmasters etc, generally about a grand or so with more chatter but good pedal feel, you'd be limited to about 450lb/ft of torque with something like that usually though. If not a daily you could prob use a 4/6 paddle grabby one which tend to hold a little over 500lb/ft depending on make, the US companies do some good variations of them. Ultimate high power daily you'd be looking at a high tq multi disc one for a good couple of grand - all depends on your use, budget and what your left leg enjoys!! You could always stick a DSG box on! ;)

In terms of software and the build, on OEM you'll need it code patched to single 02 with that exhaust manifold to stop the trims going out as you'll not be using the two probes like if you had an HPA exhaust manifold or tubular with bosses. On stock ecu you may struggle with 1000cc inectors for dead times but ID are very fast so depends on the times without looking at them, most I've done on oem will use Bosch 550 or 750's and I'll change it to a 4 bar base pressure set up for more headway.

If you go standalone, a lot of the Germans use KMS on theirs for big power and it's not overly expensive in terms of standalone, or your local tuners may use their own standalones and/or simply depends on who you get to tune it. Some well known companies have their own oem ecu set ups and so builds can often centre around the tune and this also dictates your injectors too usually so best to concentrate on that area first I would say.

Clutch won’t be an issue for me as my Bora has a SMF lightened flywheel with a helix 4 puk clutch. I’m well used to the heaviness of it. The wife’s Toledo also had an American clutch and flywheel which I can’t remember the name of. Both noisy but the Bora is seriously noisy with the lighter flywheel. The golf isn’t a daily sin no worries there. I’m trying to build a degree of headroom into the car for the future too. 

I’m not wanting to invest in stand-alone now. Injector dynamics do a 725 is this easier to tune on ME7 or should I be looking into Bosch or Siemens?

I’m struggleing with fuel pump choice now as I really want an in tank pump if possible but all the options out there don’t flow anything near what I’d like. 

I think I’m going to get the 034 motorsports fuel pump holder/surge tank and mount that in the bay. I’ve been looking at all in tank pumps and none will give any head room and I definitely don’t want a surge tank etc in the boot or a 044 screaming under the car. Nor do I want to faff about trying to make a pump fit into the oem basket. 

Also in the clutch department does anyone know if the 02M tdi clutches and flywheels fit. Can’t get a definative answer bar the teeth and clutch size appear to be the same. I can get a high torque Sachs unit and SMF from darkside for a reasonable price. 

Got home yesterday to a nice knock at the door form the DHL man. Another piece of the puzzle collected. 

309071F8-81EF-404C-9C7D-937B79C9F0E2.jpeg

42642F7B-C05D-40FC-A3CC-8E79D953F500.jpeg

B95E7853-F81C-4C38-822C-D370E3970ACB.jpeg

6CE30669-DEA3-473B-B8E4-B56B4B736DC9.jpeg