2.8 vr6 24v vvt 4mo turbo conversion

Hi good peeps,

I just turbo charging my 2.8 24v 4mo. Can I run the ignition and fuel with a stand alone as a piggy back bearing in mind the drive by wire, vvt and 4wd. The 4wd needs to be controlled by the oem ecu. The tps signal still needs to go to the ecu for the 4mo etc. The vvt need to be controlled by the stand alone ecu.

I have heard that you can tap into the sensors and run the stand alone on top of the ECU.

You may need to put a resistor on each injection output on original event to fool the original ecu.

But I would strongly look to go standalone eg healtech, or chip it with a turbo map.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Newbie to the board nice to meet yas. but I am also just starting in 4 weeks an AUE 24v turbo conversion but I'll be using a .82ar hx40 with a t3 flange and a few mods, forged etc I'm using a sidewinder that we are gonna custom make. I'm over in the UK too. 

I've just been toying with r30 tbh. But I'm struggling to find a r32 block at the right money. 

Good thread. I can't get enough of this forum.... 

I think the BWS range use the EFR compressors don't they, or I think at least the newer SX-E models do and the older ones are same/similar but have some variation in inducer sizes and different shape wheels.

I think the 300 range are probably more suited for daily's and are akin to the GT35R/EFR8374 sizes and the 400's are EFR9180/GT40/42 sizes so are a bit big for lower hp...but, depends where you want the boost, planned future mods etc I suppose.

4 bar of boost anyone?!

https://www.full-race.com/store/garage-sale/borgwarner-s400sxe-9687-72mm/

from what I gather this hx40 is somewhere in between the gt35 and gt40 so I wasn't sure if it was too big myself lol but then it was going on a high hp 1.8t when I started it. 

I'd quite like to push it but I'm just dreading at what point where have to play the drivetrain game. ?

Compressor racing in the UK sell quite a few of the s series too so would be worth firing them an email id say. 

What sorts boost does a 24v hold out too? With forged internals. 

That's quite, errrr, small? lol

I belive the 24v has a cast crank, the reason I'm staying below 400hp is because I don't want to look for clutches, gearbox's or crankshaft in the case of 24v.

I'm 28 now I have a nice daily, for my toy I'm looking for affordable fun.

Gt30 or gt35 if your looking for reliable fun anything bigger I hope you got money to burn.

Don't want to sound old but set realistic targets and you should get there.

Edited by p0u1

HX40 are 70lb/min compressors, turbine housing's vary from 14 to 20+ cm£ on them. 14cm will be best for lower hp <500hp or so, then 16/17cm ones will do for 550hp+. I can get brand new Wuxi ones for around the same price as the Compressor Racing ones so never a need to pay more than £400-500 for a new HX35 or 40, although CR do get some Huddersfield ones and hybrids but I'd budget that price for a Holset (or Cummins if you want to do your homework).

Cast or forged won't make that much difference on the crank, if any! in terms of reliability as they are all the same material, it's not like they upgraded the material like aftermarket parts so negligible gains to be had. I'm helping a guy on here DIY tune his mk5 using a 24v crank for R30, will see how they hold up - 8.7:1 compression it gave;

MK5 GOLF R30 GT35R

Edited by RBPE

It's a 1

19 minutes ago, RBPE said:

HX40 are 70lb/min compressors, turbine housing's vary from 14 to 20+ cm£ on them. 14cm will be best for lower hp <500hp or so, then 16/17cm ones will do for 550hp+. I can get brand new Wuxi ones for around the same price as the Compressor Racing ones so never a need to pay more than £400-500 for a new HX35 or 40.

Cast or forged won't make that much difference on the crank, if any! in terms of reliability as they are all the same material, it's not like they upgraded the material like aftermarket parts so negligible gains to be had. I'm helping a guy on here DIY tune his mk5 using a 24v crank for R30, will see how they hold up - 8.7:1 compression it gave;

MK5 GOLF R30 GT35R

Mines a 16cm. Yeah they're not expensive at all for what they are really. At least if I kill it it's not a massive expense to replace just the turbo. I don't expect it to be straight forward either lol.

Yeah I know it won't make any odds to the crank. 

I was under the understanding that the crank was good for 600 anyway is that not correct? I'm sure I've seen somewhere a 24v r30 with a 2.8 crank and a 3.2 block? I could well be wrong tho.  

What crank would you suggest for what I'm doing then bud? Ive only ever built up 4pots so im not familiar with this v6 engine at all really but that said I'm aware of most of what I'm doing and also cost, sensible goals etc. It won't be the first one I do either because I'm going to build a mk2 up next with the same set up if it works as well as I suspect it will. 

Looks like a nice job mate that. 

14 hours ago, p0u1 said:

I belive the 24v has a cast crank, the reason I'm staying below 400hp is because I don't want to look for clutches, gearbox's or crankshaft in the case of 24v.

I'm 28 now I have a nice daily, for my toy I'm looking for affordable fun.

Gt30 or gt35 if your looking for reliable fun anything bigger I hope you got money to burn.

Don't want to sound old but set realistic targets and you should get there.

Clutch is already on the cards and I'm also looking at the rest of the drive train so I dont have a problem changing the crank if it's necessary and if I can find one without selling the house to find it. ?

36 here it's just a hobby really for me mate something to do and put my time into. I do most of it myself apart from welding because I'm just not very good at it ???

Moneys not the issue. But that doesn't mean it's necessary to buy the most expensive things in the market place either bud. Believe me I am already there the goals are realistic and achievable and I intend to do so. That doesn't mean I won't need help from many places along the way. Vinnie will be mapping it in may sometime hopefully. Once I get the next 4 weeks out the way I will start a build thread up on here and a few other forums I'm member of. 

We have a gt40mk1 and a gt35r mk2jetta as well as a few other cars in our close group of friends and a rolling road lifts etc so it's not like I'm going I'm totally blind. Appreciate the gesture though mate.

I was once that guy you were warning. Lol

Look forward to the build thread, sounds like you have a good group of friends to help out.

I believe 400hp is not unreasonable on a stock block, there was someone ruining a caddy at 600hp with a stock 12v block lol

Think he got a good few miles in before it went bang, if I remember correctly a piston melted.

If your changing rods and pistons I think there pretty safe around 500hp, of course its normally a bad tune that kills a motor or a bad waste gate.

As for welding I'm doing my own, maybe I shouldn't looking at my end results haha.

Edited by p0u1

Yeah they're not a bad crowd mate and it's all real close friends too. 

I was hoping to be up in the 600s tbh lol the plan was a stable base tune to round 450 500 get it running right then slowly turn the wick up once it's run in over a few Dyno sessions. 

Can't be bad lol well it's defo having rods bearings rings pistons ARP hardware top n bottom as well. 

Yeah I hear that one. Ironically that's the bit I'm most confident about haha. From what I gather Vinnie at stealth is one of the few worldwide gurus on this engine. 

Haha yeah that's pretty much why I'm paying a bloke to do it for me ????