Ok all time has come for me to drop the syncro a little more. However ive never done this before as ive never had coilovers before....

These are H&R and im only adjusting the rears by about 5- 10 mm max (due to the rear diff not liking too much of a drop)

I can see the collars that the spring sits on but do i need a special tool to adjust?

Will i need to take the strut off? (i hope not!)

Anyone get any tips on how to accurately judge the amount i have adjusted by?

Answers to the above and another tips are muchos appreciated! :-)

hi ya!! my H&R set up on my rallye was the same kit!! you need the 2 spanners! have you got them? one smaller than the other, you need to "unlock" the 2 lock rings with the mentioned spanners, they are usually as tight as f*** need a soak in wd40 for 10 mins, make sure the car is well supported as i nearly got a rallye in my lap when i gave it a bit of welly! you need to fathom out which is unlock and lock ie left or right for each ring! as i cant remember now!! (opposite for each side) a large chisel and a few swear words worked for me in the end! mark your height as it is with black tape or something, as for measurement i found it best to count threads! a little tedious but at least you know they will be the same either side! good luck!

hi ya!! my H&R set up on my rallye was the same kit!! you need the 2 spanners! have you got them? one smaller than the other, you need to "unlock" the 2 lock rings with the mentioned spanners, they are usually as tight as f*** need a soak in wd40 for 10 mins, make sure the car is well supported as i nearly got a rallye in my lap when i gave it a bit of welly! you need to fathom out which is unlock and lock ie left or right for each ring! as i cant remember now!! (opposite for each side) a large chisel and a few swear words worked for me in the end! mark your height as it is with black tape or something, as for measurement i found it best to count threads! a little tedious but at least you know they will be the same either side! good luck!

You can buy the spanners from demon tweeks I think but if not you can unlock them with a large scewdriver and hammer... put the screwdriver in one of the notches on the bottom ring and tap it to the left (I think) to unlock it then twist both rings downwards to lower it. I use a ruler to measure from the bottom ring to the bottom of the thread to set the height.

lovely job lads- will have to give it a go then- Any other advice appreciated mind :-) Was it hard work for you guys after giving it a good soak with WD40 etc??? Do you think adjusting it now (as they are 4 yrs old) would maybe cause the shock to fail early??

cant say mine leaked but i suppose its possible as the seals must get "use" to the setting, a good clean with a pressure washer is a good idea and a lube always helps, once the rings seperate it is very simple to lower, that is the only real work involved! if your concerned about them leaking and they arent now do you really need to go lower??? that kits about

Cheers again guys, yeah im sure i remember reading somewhere that its not wise altering coillies after they have been in one position for ages as the dirt built up fooks the seals quick time- although my H&R (as probably yours too) seem to have dust covers around the shocks.... Ill wait for some feedback after E38 before doing anything then :-)

Warren - my Bilstein coilovers were an absolute bast*ard to adjust and they are the same set up as yours with the 2 rings - I pressure washed them, wire brushed the threads & WD40'd them! Some of the rings moved quite easy but others I had to get the biggest adjustable wrench I had on them (this was about 2 ft long and on the handle I had a scaffold pole!) and they still took some shifting! I think mine had corroded inside slightly and no ammount of WD40 would loosen them! Their fine now though - I used a tape measure to calculate the drop.

I found on mine that hitting the rings with a large screwdriver and hammer just chewed them up as they were stuck but once they were loose enough the C spanner worked ok even though it was eating my hand.

Im sure yours will be fine though ha ha!

hmmm thats confidence inspiring Mark... Think ill leavt it until its tucked up in the garage this winter ;-) At least if the shockers start leaking then im not going to be in a rush to get them sorted..... Anyone know if you can buy replacement H&R dampers???