Destroking the 12v VR6?

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 12v VR6 "AFP" that I'm rebuilding block up. I basically have an extra complete engine that I want to build for better performance. My idea is to destroke the engine by putting shorter connecting rods in which will lower the compression and increase high end power. For the loss in the low end I want to put a small turbo (T3/T4) with around 10 psi of boost. So here are my questions:

-Will this make the engine non-interference?

-Will this still be reliable?

-Would I have to change the crank and what other mods would I need? Cams? Short Runner Intake? Etc.?

-Is there a happy median for boost on a vr6 without breaking reliability?

All answers would be greatly appreciated!! And any VR6 Shops I could get in contact with? I use Techtonics Tuning. Cheers!

Hi everyone. I have a 2001 12v VR6 "AFP" that I'm rebuilding block up. I basically have an extra complete engine that I want to build for better performance. My idea is to destroke the engine by putting shorter connecting rods in which will lower the compression and increase high end power. For the loss in the low end I want to put a small turbo (T3/T4) with around 10 psi of boost. So here are my questions:
-Will this make the engine non-interference?
-Will this still be reliable?
-Would I have to change the crank and what other mods would I need? Cams? Short Runner Intake? Etc.?
-Is there a happy median for boost on a vr6 without breaking reliability?
All answers would be greatly appreciated!! And any VR6 Shops I could get in contact with? I use Techtonics Tuning. Cheers!

Speak to@RBPE on here. He is the turbo king and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions or concerns.

I assume you are on about these rods;

http://www.fcp-engineering.com/h-beam-steel-connecting-rods/106-vw-vr6-r32-28-29-32-special-turbo-161mm.html

I've not used them yet myself but know a few tuners building and running around 600hp with them, non UK so didn't see what they did to the engine - so for interference I suppose it depends on your valvetrain set up but there's 3mm length difference according to the site there. Just drop in with stock pistons, alternatively there's the spacer plate and rod bolts/head studs route.

Not a lot needed for reliability until you chase bigger numbers, main point I would say is refreshing the engines due to high mileage/tolerances which would cause the greatest stresses - that and detonation in the tune.

If you're thinking about a T3/4 then no need to go silly with cams and/or cranks, we never really got those turbo's over here but nice little snails, what you thinking 60 trim? Intake manifold will depend on either how your turbo is going to sit, so - what exhaust manifold you use will be one factor to consider, or likewise it will depend on your tune/tuner as to whether they set the map up for short runner or general manifolds as there are a few variances you can do in a tune.

You've got loads of options in the US for that, we didn't get mk4 12V's here in the UK though.