Timing chains!!!??? Late and early??

Hi guys, I am in the process of building a turbo motor (donor from a 96 Golf) which has a duplex top row timing chain and just opened the Febi box from VW Heritage and it's a revised single row upper chain!

Is it ok to run the revised kit? Or do I need the earlier type?

Any pointers guys would be greatly appreciated!

There is no definitive cut over point from when VW switched from double to single top chain.

I have seen both 1997 VR's with single and double top chain!

You wont be able to use the single as you would also need to change to single pulley setup as well, take the chains back and get the right ones for your engine code, also recommend running later mk4 guide as they are more durable.

There is no definitive cut over point from when VW switched from double to single top chain.

I have seen both 1997 VR's with single and double top chain!

You wont be able to use the single as you would also need to change to single pulley setup as well, take the chains back and get the right ones for your engine code, also recommend running later mk4 guide as they are more durable.

Thanks Pete, luckily I bought my kit from VW Heritage when the price was discounted! I have just bought a duplex top chain and hopefully that should do it!

Definitely one that has caught me out and never realised!!