What would you pay?

Been tuning the old 1.8T this past week for some of the local VAG crew. They've done quite a few "old skool" 20vt conversions now and want to get into doing it full time.

Was wondering what people would think was a reasonable price for a conversion and say, price of a rebuilt old skool car with a 20vt conversion?(i.e. re-painted, checked/replaced consumables etc).

Was shocked by this price, even more so as it's a left hooker! Surely no-one would pay that or am I out of touch with things??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180hp-VW-GOLF-Mk1-20vT-Jagermeister-/361656847744?hash=item54346d8d80:g:7Q4AAOSw6WdXiWGz

14 hours ago, bennyk said:

That seems a bit optimistic to say the least! The going rate for a nice 1.8t mk2 I'd say was around the £4-5k mark, maybe a bit more for a decent mk1 with 1.8t.

depending on the level of detail and the rest of the spec etc.

You'll be surprised though, that's why I'm asking. I've been seeing nice mk1's and 2's going for £6-8k on stock engine good nick but not even showroom condition. These type's of conversions were £6k for a 150hp one pretty much when I was doing them 5-10 years ago and even now they seem to still be £4k+ and we're trying to work out some decent costings as they're getting loads of interest - thought I would look for an impartial VR owner view point! 

I think figures bandied about are like £3k for a 150/180 to £3.5k or so for a ko4 set-up, I can map them up to a Stage 1 too for like £150 extra for them, do you reckon that's a fair price all in? I hope they get to do it as they are so passionate, just got mouths to feed so it's a side hobby for them at the mo whilst they do their regular work! Mint/restoration side is, like you say, dependent on quality.

Did a Corrado with hybrid billet ko4 they built but it was wrote off 3 days later but got this to tune this afternoon;

AGU engine, APU wiring loom and AUM ECU with a BAM map on this one - nice little mish-mash! It had 22 DTC's when it came to me as it was a VVT ecu and no VVT on the engine, SAI delete's, N249, etc. Coded them all out and now it's purring like a kitten with a ko4, bam maf and injectors....... there's loads of Ford ST boys around here banging and popping about so this will be a proper VAG car, understated but fast! 

scirocco%20bay_zpsumxv8kua.jpg

Some of the old skool;

workshop_zpsjkhuxsuk.jpg

That Jetta is so clean, ABF too;

old%20skool%20workshop_zpslubimtol.jpg

old%20skool_zpsxhec4lhu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wish my garage had a car in it at the mo! In, fact, wish I had a garage!

In all honesty I do miss those things, been quite some years since I've been able to do a big conversion like that, I've been getting nostalgic sat in an old skool beasty! :(  Really want to build a mk1 Golf 24vt with Haldex! They've just done a timelapse video of a 20vt Corrado build too which looks cool!

On a positive note though, teaching someone how to tune their mk5 R32 turbo and DSG, a lot of money seems to be spent by owners on these things!

mk5%20r32t%20mapping_zps5sxq2box.jpg

I'm thinking of going commercial again soon though, it's probably been nearly ten years now!