Hi everyone ive  post but no one seemed to reply .I purchased  a golf VR6 highline nplate . I was told it had full engine rebuild . It's been sitting for ten years doing nothing . The oil in the sump is like brand  new . Been playing around found that the fuel pump don't work . But I really want to find whether the engine ran or not. didn't want to spend out on pump if the engine was knackered . I you get wot I mean. Could I poor fuel down the supply hose and get it running or would it just fire up and run for couple of minutes or does it need lot of presume to pump into engine ? Not to hog on engine hence why I've signed up get bit info . Much appreciated. Excuse my spelling phone predicts

Edited by markedwards1979

If your pump isn't working off a direct feed then I would say its caput!

If you don't want to buy one new, I'm sure you can get one second hand off a breaker.

You can pick up after market ones for around 50 - 55 quid off eBay, but at least now you know its broken there is no risk of it not powering up once replaced.

Pete

1 hour ago, markedwards1979 said:

Thanks Pete for your reply. I ve bought 1 today 88 pound from  euro parts . Hopefully it fires up . But not counting on it reading some of the forums  on here .lol 

Cant think of any reason why it wouldn't fire if you are getting spark and fuel ! As long as there are no imobiliser issues of course, however if you have VAG-COM, fresh fuel and nice oil then should be ok, especially if it has been standing for 10 years.

If it fires, it will probably sound like a tank, just let it tick over at idle as the hydraulic lifters will be dry as anything, but what you could do before you let it fire is to pull the main engine plug and crank it over to get some oil circulating around - could take at least 30 minutes of ticking over to quiet down, but keep an eye on the temp gauge and fans as wouldn't want it overheating!

Pete  

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, markedwards1979 said:

Hi there looking to buy a stainless exhaust there is a mangex on ebay will a mk2 golf vr6 exhaust bolt straight up on a mk3 golf vr6 .regards mark

There never was a mk2 vr6 so I can only assume one has been retro fitted to a conversion. 

I was able to fit my old mk3 exhaust onto my mk2 but needed some modifications on the hanger to fit.