heavy and slow?

hi all, happy new year!

relatively new to vw apart from a brief ownership of an abf converted mk2 which i enjoyed until some twonk tried to steal it and ruined it.. anyway ive always liked the mk3 vr6 and while planning a trip to tje ring this year have looked into buying one for the trip, thing is having not been in one all i keep hearing is oh they are heavy and slow etc.. specs dont read too bad tbh 1150 weight around 180bhp and lots of torque.. they cant be that bad surely? apart from the mk2 ive always had b series civics or ep3 type r's and a few 2.8 e36's so how would the vr6 stack up against those? im sure the drive to the ring alone would be better in a vr than a civic thats for sure but its the fun factor im looking for..

The vr was known for being overweight and too wallowy on the suspension to be considered quick by the so called motoring experts.

Well, after a bit of fettling, mine will go toe to toe with quite a lot of more modern hot hatches, corners like its on rails and there's always someone random who wants to speak to me about my car, why? Because it's a vr!

I recommend you get one, poly bush it, get some decent coilovers, decat, stainless system and a bmc, some good quality tyres and go to the ring, you really won't be disappointed!

Even if it's not as quick as the very latest bmw or jap crap, your soundtrack will be a thousand times better!!!!

Edited by Bealieboy

you make a pretty good case there mate.. the sound is one of the main reasons i like them so much, though i much prefer large na engines over smaller turbo lumps anyway always have.. i must admit i always struggled with the idea of an 1150kg hatch feeling over weight, one of the lads making this claim drives a clio 197 that weighs 1250 so goes to show i guess.. so the vr in a straight line would hold its own against cars of similar nature ie hot hatchbacks id be happy with that..

The Clio 197 is helped by having 6 gears, it's really useful having that extra 1/2 ratio, to keep the engine in the sweet spot.

Clio 197 has 158 lbft of torque, vr6 has 173lbft of torque standard. A few Simple bolt on mods should give you plus 20hp and a minimum 10 lbft of torque. What bolt on mods can you do on the Clio and get plus 20hp that won't blow the budget?!

Get a vr Tony, the traffic light gp will be much more fun!

Edited by Bealieboy

you should work for vw in sales mate! ha.. i think im deffo going to go view/drive one but i can almost guarantee the moment i hear it il want it..

is there much of a reason to aim for an obd2 later car over earlier models?

lmao. Now there's an idea!!! Potentially less tin worm with obd2 models, but only because they're newer. Obd2 ecu will re-learn after your bolt on mods to some degree, obd1 is a bit thick in that you'll have to remap after mods as that system doesn't learn.

With the obd1, a good mod if you can find the correct parts is the corrado inlet and tb, a great bolt on mod, for more air into the engine= more hp. Bare in mind about remap costs though. Stealth racing is highly recommended for remaps but isn't cheap! Set your budget and buy the best you can for the money, look at performance parts fitted as a bonus and concentrate on the shell/body and that the engine is sound, you can source any performance parts you need from a well known auction website! Try and buy them used, you'll save yourself a reasonable amount of money and there's enough cars being broken if you need oe stuff.

It's all part of the fun, sourcing and building your own car!

Keep us posted too, we are interested in your potential purchase and mods. Make your posts picture heavy as we're all illiterate and can't read jack!!!

Edited by Bealieboy