Hi guys I have a 97 2.8 vr6 that has a chain problem it was running ok then stopped was making a tapping sound but now won't turn over took the rocker off and noticed the chain was slack do we know if this is an interference engine or can I get away with new chains etc any help would be most appreciated

Hi guys I have a 97 2.8 vr6 that has a chain problem it was running ok then stopped was making a tapping sound but now won't turn over took the rocker off and noticed the chain was slack do we know if this is an interference engine or can I get away with new chains etc any help would be most appreciated

hi mate yes the VR6 is an interference engine :( probably not the news you want to hear but...

If you replace the valves, you should also check the guides, stem seals, etc. If the valves hit the pistons hard enough you may have cracked skirts or even a tweaked rod. You'll also need new timing chains, chain guides and tensioners. You definitely don't want to just slap a head on after a timing chain failure or you'll have another failure further down the line.

I can't even turn it over so I'm think replacing the head in all honesty thanks for your answer

Better of getting the head re-done then getting a 2nd hand one.

Maybe off road for a few weeks, but worth it in long run.

Chains may slack due to Chain guides fcukered.

My chain guides were in a few bits so to speak when we done the chains on my old VR.