Upper guide and tensioner

So ive got a mk2 vr6 and its developed a slight clatter like chains.

Engine is from an obd1 car on a 94 reg so i believe its the twin chain.

Ive seen a good thread on vortex which involves pulling the engine and changing the clutch, id ultimately like to do this but i dont really have the space at the mo for such an involved job. Or the money!

Can i change the upper guides/tensioner? Just as an inbetweener?

How strong are the chains? Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.

the chains themselves are not likely to break, it is the risk of the chain jumping teeth on the cam sprocket and/or crank shaft that is the most probable and common issue. with the upper timing chain cover removed you can replace the long black upper timing chain guide but that is the only one you have access to unless you remove the lower chain cover which involves removing the transmission, clutch, etc. The noise that is associated with the "bad timing chains" is not caused by the black upper chain guide it's is caused by the metal back plate of the upper chain tensioner scraping against the chains.

you do have a twin chain motor if it is original to the car.

depending on mileage it should be ok to drive it with it making the noise just know it's a ticking time bomb. some engines go 200,000 miles on original chains and some barely make it past 90k. it's just all about driving style I supposed