Looking to convert my obd1 dizzy vr6 to obd2 coilpack.

Looking for some advice form someone that done this conversion before as after reading many threads, I'm still unsure what's needed.

Parts

Coil pack

Obd2 ecu

Ecu harness

Engine harness

Obd2 MAF housing

Obd2 throttle body

Obd2 intake manifold

Upper timing chain cover

Is there anything else I've missed? How difficult a task is this going to be?

The reason I'm doing this is for when I turbo or supercharge it. From what I've read and been recommended by C2 and UM obd2 is the best way to go..

I've found a guide online that speaks about converting a corrado to obd2, how similar will this be to the golf?

Any info appreciated:)

I haven't got round fitting mine but doing the obd swap myself. Mine might be easier as my obd1 is coilpack. Pretty much plug and play from what I have read and your parts list seems about right. You will have to get the new ecu imobiliser deleted, united motorsports will take care of that. If your going fi might aswell get the ecu socketed whilst its there so it can take a tuning chip.

I haven't got round fitting mine but doing the obd swap myself. Mine might be easier as my obd1 is coilpack. Pretty much plug and play from what I have read and your parts list seems about right. You will have to get the new ecu imobiliser deleted, united motorsports will take care of that. If your going fi might aswell get the ecu socketed whilst its there so it can take a tuning chip.

I think the only thing different is the top chain covers, might be wrong though if you are doing them too! Also possibly a cam sensor which I missed out. Any idea how much that work costs? Also can it be done off the car as I'm up on Aberdeen so quite far away! cheers :)

I wouldn't know how much someone would charge to do the conversion as I will be doing mine myself once I have the rest of my turbo conversion. Just waiting on the funds for the last few bits and trying to make space at home to work on it. There are a few people on here that have either done the conversion or had it done for them.

I wouldn't know how much someone would charge to do the conversion as I will be doing mine myself once I have the rest of my turbo conversion. Just waiting on the funds for the last few bits and trying to make space at home to work on it. There are a few people on here that have either done the conversion or had it done for them.

Was meaning the ecu work, immobiliser and socketed as I plan on doing the conversion myself too:)

You had a look to see how difficult changing over the harnesses will be? Also decided what management your going to run with your turbo set up?:)

Was meaning the ecu work, immobiliser and socketed as I plan on doing the conversion myself too:)

You had a look to see how difficult changing over the harnesses will be? Also decided what management your going to run with your turbo set up?:)

yeah I will be using united motorsports they have an off the shelf setup for my build. I'm aiming for around 300hp anything more will be a bonus. If you email united motorsports they will give you advice on your setup and recommend which software to use. Also just send them your ecu and they will do the work for you with the socket imobiliser. I haven't had chance to see exactly what is involved with the harness. But when I finally get round to doing it (probably over winter) the full front end is coming off to make life a bit easier.
  • 2 weeks later...

Would it be easier to get an obd2 doner engine and swap over the engine, loom etc?

The engine in the car was coming out for a rebuild and clean anyway?

I got a full conversion without the manifold cheap and had a relative with a spare manifold so worked out a lot cheaper for me to do it that way.

I have heard a few people say obd2 makes a few more bhp but not sure. It has a lot more control options which makes it the better choice to run a turbo setup with. I haven't actually fitted mine yet due to not having the time and space to do it. from what I have heard its all just a straight swap. When I do get chance to get mine swapped over will be fitting a spacer gasket and turbo manifold so half of the engine bay will be coming out anyway.

Alright.. Found a guy selling an obd2 conversion kit

What it has..

Ecu (021 906 256)

Loom of some kind. Poss engine.

Transponder and key

Maf housing, airbox etc

Engine cover

Belt tension(guessing bolt?)

Inlet manifold and throttle body

However he says the manifold is from a 2.9 vr6 synchro? But still says it's obd 2? And also when looking at conversion guide that ecu number doesn't come up? It seems like he has all that I need, but will it all work?

_1_zpso3zc68h0.jpg

Edited by Cooz93

Bit of a bargain! Did you get the upper timing cover? If so have you got a pic? Not 100% sure what I'm looking for, also then tensioner? Unless you won't need to change it because your already coilpack? Cheers:)

Edited by Cooz93

Taken the plunge and paid the man for that kit with everything in it. After a few messages I'm confident everything I need is there, so there should be no messing around! Little bit expensive but will make things alot easier!