Hi all, I am looking at getting a VR6 off eBay, I know it's not ideal but it seems to be the only place to get a quick local sale.

Any way, I am looking to get into the VR scene and and want it to last a good couple of years. Obviously I won't know the history of the car so what would be the first things I need to do to it to make sure that it stays healthy.

I will eventually be wanting to tune the engine but can't do it all at once. Where is best to start?

Thanks for the help.

I would want to know if the chains have been done. The VR runs from a chain rather than a belt and whilst it's very rare the chain breaks, the tensioner that keeps it tight "Can" wear. This leads to the chain becoming slightly slack and a little rattely, but even worse the tensioner can break, or bits of it come off it and go into the engine which is obviously a bad thing :P

Cars after 1997 tend not to have this issue as much as I believe the tensioner was changed slightly.

Other than that the engines are pretty bullet proof to be honest. You might have the odd coilpack issue or crank position sensor but both are easy enough fixes and reasonably cheap.

Be aware though that the VR is NOT cheap to get power out of, so if your main goal with it is to tune it as you say, make sure you have fairly deep pockets.

Having said that, if, said pockets are deep enough, you can build a monster !

Edited by Earwig

I'm not really the best person to ask with regards to new Cam's and so on.... It's something that has never appealed to me. One thing I do know, it's one of the most expensive routes with regards to bang for your buck. Same as the Schrick manifold. It's extrodinarily expensive for such small gains.

Best Bang for buck I guess is a charger. This is the only major performance boost I personally would make and is one of the next things on my list of things to do.

If you wanted more after that then add the cams and manifold etc.... If you want BIG power straight away then head down the Turbo route, but beware the cost of doing it will likely be 3 times or more what the car is worth if done properly. But having said that, I hear it's an awesome thing to have :D