Thought I'd do a write up for a 256mm conversion as I've just done one to my mk3 and finding answers wasn't the easiest.

What you'll need.

256mm brake set up. Discs, pads, carrier, calliper. Probably from a mk4 golf.

Polo 9n stub axles - PN 6Q0 501 117

Polo 9n rear hubs - PN 6Q0 598 611

Banjo type brake lines

Next part, you can either saw off the axle spacers from a polo 9n like I did, pictures below, with the rough edge milled flat.

DSC_0003_zpsdank8cpd.jpg

DSC_0033_zps7tsmhqu4.jpg

Or you can buy lupo gti axle spacers. P/N are 6E0501465A for left and 6E0501466A for right.

You'll will also need longer stub axle bolts and longer calliper carrier bolts. Both need to be about 10mm longer.

First off remove the current set up, including callipers, carriers, disks etc etc. you'll be left with nothing mounted to the rear beam.

Attach the polo 9n stub axle to the rear beam with the spacer in between..

DSC_0036_zpsmun5bcvq.jpg

It's an idea to bore out the holes on the spacers to the bolts don't pick up on the spacer thread and stop you getting a proper fit to the beam.

Mount up the hub and disk to the stub axle..

And then mount the new 256mm carrier.

From what I've heard, if the brake set up is from a 4motion, you will need a small spacer between carrier and axle spacer like I have. I can't comment on the non 4motion set up!

Either way, this is how it will look with carrier and spacer attached..

DSC_0030_zpsb2mdzbzi.jpg

I've used washers here for a quick fix, but for a permanent solution a spacer plate should be made up.

The calliper will then mount in the same way the originals did.. This picture was also taken before I drilled out the holes so the spacer wasn't flush with the rear beam, hence why the carrier looks so closed to the disc..

DSC_0040_zpsjcvc2no3.jpg

And now the set up is complete.

Thought I'd finish this off for people using abs.

First, you'll need to cut a 'V' into the polo 9N stub axle, where the original abs sensor will fit. After this, you'll need to weld a small bit of pipe into this channel to hold the abs sensor.. Picture below. Be careful with spacing. I used a 0.8 or 1mm shim on the abs sensor to make sure the gap was correct

DSC_0141_zpszleerrho.jpg

DSC_0140_zps19eie2mm.jpg

To make the original mk3 abs ring fit, you will need so shim it out. I done this by making a ring to fit over the polo 9N hub, about 2/2.5mm thick. When this is in place the abs ring should be a nice snug fit. Make sure you clean all parts before measuring, as my first attempt ended in failure.. Picture of shim under abs ring..

DSC_0142_zpsdpzlzxuv.jpg

If anyone has any picture request/help/further input feel free to comment.

Cheers:)

Edited by Cooz93

I will do once I start on it ,basically cut the end of the mk4 beam off and weld it on the vr beam.

As long as you get the angles bang on when you weld it back together there shouldn't be a problem. You may or may not have an issue with the abs. I have a feeling the mk4 works on a similar setup to the mk3 but as I haven't seen both I couldn't tell. I do believe the both use 'cages' for abs detection unlike the polo which uses the Bosch system and has the abs built in the back of the hub. A problem which I hope to figure out this weekend. Keep us updated with what you find mate:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...