Stereo not holding memory!

I've had a VR for a month or so now and it came with some crappy jvc stereo.. This stereo used to save radio channels however never held time or EQ etc.. So today I bought a new headunit with Bluetooth and all that (great buy for £36 brand new).. Now I've connected it up and it didn't require any adapters, the genuine cables went straight in, but now this doesn't hold and memory or anything at all! I've had look at a few threads and I already know from experience that if you swap yellow and red wires it cures it, however this is genuine wiring straight into the headunit so how can I resolve this?! Help! Thanks :-)

I had to do something like this on my corrado. From my understanding wiring wasn't standardised back in the day on our beloved cars so this is why we commonly see this query, you will probably find that if you plugged your head unit into a new(RR) car that this issue wouldn't exist.

I just got a small screw driver and was able to remove the terminal from the plug for the respective wires and swapped them around. Job done

No wires will need to be added. If you use a simple bulb tester you'll find which wire is permanent live and then when you turn the ignition on which is the switched live. You should be able to wiggle the said terminals from the connector block and swap the positions, as Pete said. It'll all make sense once you make a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may find that the new head unit has a short loom attached to it which plugs into the car loom. If so, you may well find that there are bullet connectors in the red and yellow wires between the plug and the actual unit. If there are, then simply open them and join yellow to red and red to yellow.  The problem is not with the head unit, it's just the way old VWs are wired and you will always have this problem when fitting a modern head unit............... it's just a case of joining red to yellow and yellow to red somehow.

Edited by leon263