Hi, just brought a completely original highline and am thinking of alloys and lowering and could do with some advice re wheel sizes, handling and rubbin. I'm used to a MK1 golf and MK3 Polo handling (much lighter handling), and find the MK3 heavy in comparrison. Having lowered a couple of cars I know this improves the handling if done right.

Does the VR6 fit 17in wheels, without having to do arch modifications?

Does the VR6 fit 17in wheels, with 30mm lowering springs (not coilovers), without having to do arch modifications?

I read some other posts in these forums and they suggested that the handling might not improve with 17in wheels, is the the case?

And what wheel sizes and lowering (springs or coilovers) setups would you recommend for best/better handling?

I'm not adverse to leaving it all original. Cheers for any tips,

Talc

Edited by chewtown

Yep width of wheel and et could make a big difference. 17's should be fine lowered on lowered springs I had to fit spacers on coilovers but make sure the rolling diameter is as near as can be to standard

Edited by CALICO

Thanks all, for the answers, useful information all round.

What's the width and et of the wheels you will be putting on?

Sent from your mums iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure yet, I wanted to chew it over before I made a decision. I really wanted the biggest alloys without arch mods, 30mm drop and not too concered about width and et.

Maybe something like;

Borbet

RS

Nearest size to standard rim size
Size:
7 x 17

Offset:

PCD:
5 x 100

With them sizes you shouldn't have a problem. I'm probably dropped about 60-70mm with 7.5x17 on the front and 8.5x17 on the rear. I run with a slight stretch tho 205/40/17 on the rear and 195/40/17 on the front and I haven't touched my arches

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk