What symptoms would I be looking at if exhaust gases were mixing with the coolant?

I have lost some coolant over a long-ish drive and cant seem to put my finger on an external leak.

The car hasnt overheated, I monitor both oil and coolant temps.

The oil filler cap looks like this after a short drive, coolant up to temp oil not. (could be condensation):

14225067321_5ddba8b061.jpg

I havent checked the dipstick yet but will after work.

Through the bottle the coolant appears to have an orange/brown layer on top, again I havent checked as only just turned the engine off.

I know the best thing to do is take it to a garage but I am not able to until Thursday.

Any ideas other than HG?

Thanks

Dom

Edited by dom.joy

I use to have this layer on cold mornings.. Condensation.
But coolant was pink and dipstick was normal.
If your having signs in the coolant tank, Id keep an eye on it.
May just be H/G.
Have you ever done a Coolant flush and replaced??

I replaced the rad and did a full coolant flush within the last 6months, not exactly sure when.

The oil cooler is something that I need to look at but have been waiting as I would want to get the whole front end off but have air con that needs draining

Check the Dipstick as well. 

This maybe a case of early signs, so nothing may actually show on Dipstick..

Just keep an eye on things, as Lukey said maybe cooler.

Okay thanks. Will check after work and get the opinion of a couple of mates before I can get to a garage for a sniffer test.

Can the oil cooler be changed without removing the whole front end?Seems quite tight for space

Looks to be some condensation. One way to be sure the head gasket is ok would be to conduct a compression test. 

Regarding the oil cooler, I've just replaced mine over the weekend. I would strongly recommend taking the front end off. The amount of effort and time required to get to the coolant lines running to the oil cooler, let alone the limited space, would be made up by taking the front end off and having perfect access;

With front on;

IMAG0476_zps992463bf.jpg

With front off;

IMAG0477_zpsad98928f.jpg

I know its a pain having to get the air conditioning re-gassed, but its also a good opportunity to replace the a/c drier aswell. 

I done my oil cooler at Christmas time and I tried with front end on and I just made my life hard. It's an absolute doddle when you've got the front end off mate

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys. I want to freshen up some cooling components at some stage, crack pipe, thermostat housing etc and maybe fit an external oil cooler as the intention is to do track days so will maybe get it all done at once with the front end off. 

As Lukey said you should replace the pipe from the oil cooler to the cracks pipe and I also replaced the one from the cooler to the block as well. You can get them both off eBay for £15 delivered

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk