Had car to test today, passed with only a close tyre limit and a side light bulb out as advisorys. .. 2 issues.. Firstly. left the MOT station and the battery light came on permanent.. got it home, went back out to go get tax and totally flat.. am I right in thinking the alternator has packed up and not charging battery? It's a brand new battery just 2 days ago so I can't see it being that.. advice would be awesome? ?

Secondly, on way to station car over heated and steam from bonnet, stopped, engine off and lifted hood to find header tank steaming.. checked rad pipes 1 very hot and the other freezing cold. . Once again am I right in thinking the thermostat has packed up? It's been standing for around 2 years so I was expecting a few little bits and pieces to be shot and it was bought as a project. .

All information you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

1) could be alternator, check battery and alternator are rated to the size of the engine. Stick a multimeter across the alternator while its running.

2) definitely a blockage somewhere, sounds lime thermostat. What pip was hot?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Top pipe was hot mate and bottom was cold.. I got the better uprated battery for car. . I think 075... just that was for the vr6 engine ..(used regards from my mates mk3 vr)...

Been quoted £50 to supply and fit thermostat and he's gonna try and refurb my alternator...

To be fair I expected a lot more to go wrong with it on MOT as I didn't have anything other than its service history. .