Mk3 electric window issues

Hi all, 

Having a few issues with the dreaded Mk3 electric windows. I'm hopping that someone can help shed some light on this issue. My front drivers side window stopped working about 2 months ago and last Saturday, my drivers side front stopped. From what i can tell, the regs look ok, and im pretty sure that the motors are getting power to them as when you hit the switch to wind the window down, you can hear the clicking noise from the switch itself and also from the motor. 

When hitting the switch, the interior light also dims on / off which I would imagine tells me that there is power getting there. I've also checked the wires in the loom that lead from body to door and I cant seem to see any wires that are frayed or broken. Rear windows and sunroof work fine. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and if so, how was it resolved, all help appreciated, 

Hi all, 

Having a few issues with the dreaded Mk3 electric windows. I'm hopping that someone can help shed some light on this issue. My front drivers side window stopped working about 2 months ago and last Saturday, my drivers side front stopped. From what i can tell, the regs look ok, and im pretty sure that the motors are getting power to them as when you hit the switch to wind the window down, you can hear the clicking noise from the switch itself and also from the motor. 

When hitting the switch, the interior light also dims on / off which I would imagine tells me that there is power getting there. I've also checked the wires in the loom that lead from body to door and I cant seem to see any wires that are frayed or broken. Rear windows and sunroof work fine. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this before and if so, how was it resolved, all help appreciated, 

check the looms, they can split over time! ive got a pair of 5 door front looms if you want the pair for £10. regards

Take the connectors from the doors they just twist n pull out .. Pull the central locking vacum line .. You can now with the door card removed pull more of the door loom through .. Slide the rubber boot back an inspect for damaged wires .. Also be aware the reg can look fine but there is a clip on the top life that slots into the metal bar of the reg that brakes n jams the small roller wheels that guide the cables .. The lights dim because power is being transfered to the motor and it's consuming voltage so you either have a jammed mech or a weak motor .. Scrap yard jobby .. I have 2 motors and a drivers mech if you get stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for this guys, i had a look at the looms in both doors and cant seem to find any issues in terms of split wires or wires that may be loose. Ill look again tonight but pretty sure that they are all ok. Might be easier just to pull both out and replace regs and motor complete. 1 small problem, the front passange side is up with no wat of getting it down, Im assuming ill have to cut the reg in order to slide it down so I can undo the 2 screws holding the glass in place. Front drivers has been removed already and had 2 pieces of timber keeping it up. 

Appreciate the offers for part guys. id buy but im in Sydney Australia and need then kinda urgently. thanks for the thought though!

If the reg is fucked and your going to replace it anyways .. Undo the 10mm bolts and remove completely .. Then force the metal brackets on the reg in towards the middle of the door.. The rubber clamps will either move and let the window come free or the window will drop so that you can access the 10mm nuts that clamp the window to the runners

if you can get it off intact, take the cover off the reel, the cable could just have come out of the tracks and tied itself in a knot, my driver one did this and i managed to untangle it and wind it up correctly again and it worked fine after

i unscrewed where the wires are all coming out of the cavity to give me a litle more room to work with and have a look. everything seemed fine. Took me a few attempts o lock it back in however after doing so, im not even getting a click from the switch or the wiper any more , completely dead. Hopefully just a coincidence otherwise ive fucked it up even more trying to see if wiring was the issue.can be a relay or a fuse otherwise non of  the windows would work. rears are still fine and I can still control electric side mirrors thorough drivers side door switch for both sides. 

I've recently had a cable jam on my drivers front window. I had it replaced at my local garage to the tune of £184. I had a whole new genuine vw regulator fitted.

me starting to thinks so too. Picking up two regs and motors complete tomoz and just swapping both out. I know it will def fix the drivers side as the reg brokw however my gut feeling tells me the passenger side is still a power issue for some reason.. See how we go when i replace them both tomoz

• 3 weeks later...