Coil pack and no start Troubleshooting

Hi all.

Needing some thoughts on my issues with a non start. At the very least im needing a new coil pack, the body is cracked and a post has fallen off. Rewind to friday night ran well no issues parked up and not run for couple days.

Monday tried to start struggled but starter did turn over,tried again and it struggled more, third time nothing.Got booster cables out and connected up to helper car,Nothing.

At first i thought the jump leads didnt get a good connection but small sparks and the helper car dropping revs when i turned on my fans confirmed there was a solid current path.

I tried directly connecting the red starter cables in the column to rule out the starter switch,(which i had to do before when it went duff.)

Gave up and disconnected helper car.

On my return to the engine bay there was a burning smell and smoke.i notice coil is red hot and cracked at no1 cyl post spewing this brown resin.The heat only stopped when i disconnected the battery.

The only thing i can think is it was raining and quite wet when this was done.

Im going to investigate further but so far im needing a coil for sure.The starter hasnt turned since it was connected to the boost car i confirmed i hadnt got the cables the wrong way round or anything. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and if its just a burnt out coil or 2 issues at once? i find it strange that the starter wouldnt even budge could a shorted coil cause this. I have a meter but im not sure where to start checking in the circuit and cant find a decent wiring diagram.Anyone had anything similar your help would be great

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

do you have access to a power probe?  they can be bought in basic form from ebay ..  a cheap sealey 6v to say 24v tester is around £20 and is ideal for this sort of issue as you can test for power n neg plus you can earth something or power it up so can eliminate wiring issues and or faulty components. the coil could of crack due to excess current passing through and the heat damaged it so beware that there isnt an underlying fault ..  personally id be careful where u go from here as miss placed power can damage more items .. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...