hi guys wonder if i could get come help here.

was driving along in the mk3vr6 as you do when all of a sudden it started misfiring. got to a set of traffic lights and the engine started to sound very tapety like low oil, i then drove home as i was like 2 minutes away and the red oil light comes on...

turns out the rod that drives the pump snapped. Ive replaced the pump and shaft but for some reason its still missing.

wait for it...

i checked spark and fuel all was fine and dandy, checked compression all was good however… number 2 cylinder has zero compression…I'm struggling to understand why this is. i was advised to try changing the tappets as it was pretty noisy anyway. so i changed all 12 tappets but its still the same.

any ideas of what this could be. i don't think its possible for valve damage to occur but i may be wrong.. I'm yet to put oil in pot number 2 and see if it builds compression.

any help would be great. thanks

well  really id do a dry test n a wet test...  if valves and pistons havent clashed then it maybe hard to imagine major damage but low oil pressure means the cams could be damaged ..  the valve guide could be damaged casuing it to stick and not open or close..  do you have access to a bore scope?  u can buy a cheap version from somewhere that sells insulation normally aswell...  for you too see the oil light im afraid it would indicate low oil pressure and thats never good for an engine .. so  ,  dry test,  wet test...  then leak down test  ( filling the cylinder full of pressurized air) and see if it shows signs of leaking.  can buy a kit of ebay for around £30 

• 2 months later...

How's it going guys. Got to the bottom of the situation. Friend left his car with me so I checked timing and it was out! Thanks audimk312v! Looks like oil pump failed so obviously the timing chain tensioner was no longer being fed with oil causing chains to go slack and jump. In the end cylinder 2 intake valve was bent ever so slightly and the valve spring broke. Had the head skimmed and put it back together now she runs like a dream. Thanks for help anyway guys. Just goes to show with a little investigation i managed to save him a few.