Tyre opinions and experiences

Currently considering my options for a set of new 205/40 R17 tyres. I'm after something that will grip well in the dry and the wet but will also dispel water easily. Wear rate doesn't really bother me that much (within reason) as I'm only doing 2-3k miles a year or so. Don't really want to spend more than £100 a corner, preferably £70-£80ish.

I have read more reviews than I can care to mention but with so many conflicting opinions.

Good source of info here, I've read nearly every review on the top 15 tyres :lol: - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/17-Inch-Tyres/205-40-17-Tyres.htm

So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Uniroyal Rainsport 3 - seems to have glowing reports though only launched very recently. Better than Uniroyal RS2's but have firmer sidewall which was a common complaint. These are what I'm really being drawn to at the minute.

2. Avon ZZ3 - apparently these have awesome grip in the dry and reasonably good in the wet

3. Toyo T1R - had these in the past and found them not too bad

4. Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - wet grip not so good?

5. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - have these on my Passat in a 235/45 R17 and find them brilliant, great grip right down to the last. Expensive though.

6. Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - not looked into these too much but well priced

7. Falken ZE912 - what I had on the mk3 in a 195/40 R17 and tbh I was well enough impressed with them all round and are well priced. I would like to try something different though.

8. Continental Contact Sport 5 - according to the reviews they seem to have real good grip both in wet and dry conditions but are both expensive and wear exceptionally quickly.

9. Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - awesome dry grip but potentially lethal in the wet

Try to keep on topic please. Looking genuine experiences and opinions. Smart ass "blow out" comments will be deleted ;)

I've had RE050 before and as soon as they are over half worn its like they have a different compound, they become super slippery and you wheel spin and understeer everywhere I think they are awful.

I had Paradas and everyone says they are lethal in the wet but I found them not that bad, they certainly aren't dangerous !

Contis I had them on a focus ST @ 300hp and there wasn't a bad thing I could say about them, my brother had them too but because his trip to work was on a bit if a rough road he kept getting bulging on the sidewalls

My favourite tyre of all has been Toyo T1R and since 2005 its all I would fit to any car that needed tyres, with them being harder to come by I will probably go to Michelin Pilot Sport eventually if I can't get hold of T1R but I have a Costco account so the price difference isn't too steep

Edited by Lukey.

I've read loads of reviews where people are happy with Uniroyal, only fault they seem to have with RS2's is they have a soft sidewall. The new RS3's seem to have improved on this it seems. What didn't you like with the Michelins? What size were they?

I ran RS2's on my M3 for 12 months & they performed really well. Very grippy in the wet & good in the dry too, they took quite a bit if persuasion to break traction.

I had conti sport 2's on my Focus ST, they were very good too. I did over 14000 miles on them before I sold the car (including a fair few spirited drives through the Yorkshire dales with the STOC crew) and the still had plenty of tread left.

My favourite tyres though are Toyo T1R's and the Goodyear eagle GSD3's but I don't think they make them anymore.

I have run vredstein sessantas on my R32 now for about 4 yrs. I can't fault them and were about £80 ish.

I had ps2 on it when I bought it and found them quite good but buying four if them was big money.

Of the ones you listed I've had the ze912s and liked them lots.

But id go with the rainsports. I'll be putting them on my daily focus in the new year

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm still convinced that Rainsports are the ones to go for. Good to see some of you share that opinion too :)

I'd love to go for 888's but at £180 ish a corner they are way out of budget and putting part worns on is a no go

• 1 month later...