Painting Air Intake Manifold And Plastic Cover.

Hi guys, I have got an obd2 mk3 vr and am wanting to paint the air intake manifold and the plastic top cover too. Im wanting to do it in black then the writing in a different colour afterwards, maybe using some enamel paint and a small brush? Do I have to use any special kind of paints on the manifold with the heat in the bay? Can I paint it in place without removing it? Any tips would be amazing, I know someone on here will have done this already so hopefully someone should know. Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

For the plastic cover you can just use normal car paint, if you lacquer it though it will bubble up in the heat and crack. For the inlet hammerite works well, it would be easier to remove but its a PITA for just a simple paint job, if using spray you'd have to do a good mask job

Cheers for the help guys? Looked at that montana gold range and im liking the choice of colours :) im definitely going to lacquer the plastic covers but ill leave the intake manifold un lacquered as I think that will react with the heat. Unless anyone has lacquered theirs successfully?

Sent from my GT-I9300

I will add to what I said about lacquer, the main part of the cover that is flat is fine and there has been no problem there, the problem has come from the lettering and emblem that are sunk in, these are the places that blistered, upon repeat painting I didn't lacquer it again leaving the lettering just paint. The blistering problem hasn't re occurred.

I primed it all the same and it cooked off fine, in hindsight it was probably due to the rest of the thing was spray painted but the lettering I obviously had to do by hand, If the brushed in paint wasn't fully dry when I lacquered over it, it would have trapped the excess moisture under the top coat, then when heated on the engine caused it to blister up in order to escape.

Im planning on using some montana gold shock black on yhe plastics and the intake manifold, then some of the model paint and a small brush to do all the lettering (the model paint is apparently how another mwmber on here did it) unsure of the colour for the lettering yet, the car is dragon green but I may just go for a nice bright white on the lettering as a complete colour contrast to the black?

Sent from my GT-I9300

• 3 weeks later...

First off I bought a second hand mani off the fleabay because my existing one is smooth and polished and I wanted to keep the cast finish. Gave it a good scrub with a wire brush, clean off any dust with an air line and soak it with a solvent cleaner. I use brake cleaner. Mask it all off where it meets the lower manifold and throttle body and primer it with an ETCH primer. The etch primer is essential as normal primer won't take to aluminium properly. Then Just a final top coat with a Matt black spray. Finally lay it all out on the spare bedroom floor and wait for the fallout from the misses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Time will tell, to e honest I very much doubt it, high temp is for exhaust manifolds and very high temp areas, it relies on the extreme heat to help it cure. An inlet manifold won't get anywhere near hot enough to cure the hight temp paint leading to possible chance of flaking. I painted the plastic cover once before with the letters all detailed, with normal plasticote stuff, never had a single bubble in it.