Rear Diff/Haldex refurb

I have a 2002 4 motion MK 4, when I got it there was an issue with the rear diff/haldex, it presented by making a horrible grinding noise when driving and eating tyres.

I have since changed the whole diff/haldex with a donor from an S3.

I then set about dismantling the rear diff and cleaning it up to see why it was locking and being generally noisy. When I got it to pieces and clean I was surprised to see everything in decent condition and looking quite healthy, the only thing I can see/feel being a bit rough are the two bearings on the diff shaft.

So, does anybody know where I can get the two bearings from and looking at the pictures can you see anything I missed that might be the issue??

Thanks for looking.

9232231738_411b66385e_b.jpg

9229447841_9036e2bd22_b.jpg

9229446221_9a542b5513_b.jpg

9232235694_410374764d_b.jpg

9232238876_765bf1b446_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

No mate, really easy job, first use a slide hammer or similar to remove the driveshaft cups, then undo the ring of bolts on each end plate and of course the ring of bolts around the Haldex bit too, you should then be able to remove the pinion and differential etc easily.

Then it is same again for the haldex bit, just remove all the bolts and split, although there is nothing repairable inside the unit as spare parts are not available, I even tried to contact Haldex in Scandinavia but they were not forthcoming with service items.

So to answer your question, it is easy to strip and rebuild the rear diff/haldex unit.

What is wrong with your diff?  I took mine apart because it was locking the whole system up, all four wheels were driving somehow. I bought a second hand diff from an S3 and swapped them over, hence taking this one apart with a view to finding out what was wrong with it and having a spare.

problem mine had was that with all 4 wheels off the ground, if you rotated one of the wheels, all the others turned also, also a bad noise when turning.

My reference to checking or testing the haldex was when it is out the car, there must be a way to bench test it to see if it engages and disengages properly.

Hmm if you had a pin out of the controller and a lab power supply, you could power it and bridge the pins that engage /disengage the clutch and see if the stepper motor engages? Im only thinking out loud here, im only summising how the haldex works

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If u had all 4 wheels off the floor and spun 1 would the controller not kick in as it would think its slipping as the other wheel isnt moving ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No, because the wheelspin is detected by the front wheels, we turned a rear and in turn a front rotated also when the ignition is switched off the Haldex does not activate because of the lack of electricity