nope, just loom from back of fuse box, to multi-plug on engine, and the engine harness needs to be replaced with your OBD2, lamba is different, so is the MAF, throttle body, possibly the FCM too, late VR's also had 3 sensors on the thermostat housing..

the loom can be fed through the gromit into the cabin, but I had to remove brake servo to get access.

should be straight forward mate, do you have all the alarm gubbings as the OBD2 ECU will need the key chip, transponder, alarm box from the same car you had the ECU from.

only other option is to send to stealth and get immobilizer function deleted

I have the same on my Corrado, and it still works perfectly, I just needed to chop the bonnet switch into the engine harness again. Didn't have to touch anything else, but the OBD2 ecu will have an imob, so if your car starts for a couple of seconds and cuts out, and VAG-COM indicates "engine start blocked by immobilizer" then that's your problem :)

OBD2 is a totally different management system, its not the equivelant of remapping an OBD1,

having driven OBD2 cars for the last 10 years, it was a real disappointment to jump into my OBD1 Corrado VR6, its now a joy to drive and idles a lot smoother and pick up is more responsive.

Its a doddle on the Golf to do, you wont have the hassle I had with my Corrado, chopping looms up and making new ones etc...

Pete