Was just thinking as i gotta change the fuel filter this weekend, ill probably end up getting a rocker gasket and taking the inlet off.

Does this make it easier to have a check over the spark plugs. ive got the tool for it but must admit im always a bit scared of taking sparks etc out, i cross threaded one years back because it was awkward to get to :S

Might do an oil and filter change as well, but anything else worth going over while i have inlet off etc?

i find it easier to take the plugs out without the inlet, especially on the back row. Just take your time finding the thread, and maybe put a thread chaser down the hole to get rid of all the crap. just check the head while the rockers off, look for anything to be worried about. Could do your tensioner bearing as well?

Tensioner was one other thought as the chains sound pretty healthy at the moment and any "preventative" measures i can do help keep my paranoia at bay :)

i should probably get some prices on all this first an work out what i can afford to to do as well :P

If you don't have a metal lead removal tool get one, the plastic one is a POS, its sometimes a bit of a fiddle with the metal one, always impossible with plastic.

I got gen VW fuel filter and rocker cover gasket for about £12 and £15 from TPS. You need to get the right one as early ones have studs and later ones have captured bolts in the cover. If you're later have a look at the bolts you can see and see if they are corroded and nasty looking as its the perfect chance to replace them with stainless versions while the inlet is off. Plugs if replacing get NGK BKR5E from mr solutions gapped to 0.7mm, I had some in for 2 years and from the tip wear it looks like they would have lasted another 1 or 2.

Cheers for the info, B&B componants my local vag supplier quoted me £6+vat for fuel filter so i hope thats a genuine one ill have to ask

ill have a look over the rocker gasket but im guessing being 96 ob2 it might be the later one

Also ill prob just take some pics of the sparks an post them on here to see what people think