VR6 auto sluggish gear change

Hello guys

I have just picked up my first VR6, its an auto, i just wanted to ask if the first gears are properly sluggish to change, or is there a common fix to make it better. Basically if you boot it of the mark, lots of noise, but not a lot of action? However when it gets going, it pulls like a train.

Any help would be much apppreciated.

Cheers.

Drop the filter and change the oil, I think that's all you can do to them, I had and vr auto and the box went on that the general thinking is that the boxes are only good for about 60 thou miles and I'm sorry to say not cheap to fix good luck with it

Autos aren't as quick as manuals off the mark, they 'go' from tickover so no dropping the clutch at 4500 rpm.

You say the gear changes are sluggish, do you mean from 1st to 2nd and above or just 1st? (if you're in 'D' then you're already in 1st so there's no gear change).

Thanks for the response, not what i wanted to hear though! Are there any suggested oils or additives to give it the best chance of being a fix? I have read somewhere about solenoids being a problem on the auto boxes? Car has only done 69k miles, thought i would be safe.

Thanks again for any help.

Best start as said and change filter and oil.

I once watched wheeler dealers and they bought a porche boxer with a dodgy auto gearbox, changed the oil and filter and was running awesome again!

Worth ago before getting worried too much.