just pressed out the old bearings and pressed in new genuine vw bearings ( £42 each !!! ) using a hydraulic press I borrowed however when I got home I realised the hub flange ( the part the wheel bolts to with an abs ring attached to the back ) needed pressing through the centre of the bearing.

I thought I could slowly hit the flange into place using a wooden mallet however the back of the bearing fell out and the inner race of the bearing stuck to the hub flange.

I need to replace the bearing now but for next time how do I get the hub flange into place without the same happening again as I don't fancy wasting another £42

Rich

No help I'm afraid but as an aside I got quoted for genuine rear bearings £50 each side, as the bearings basically die with the disc on the rear I just put SKF bearings in for £12.

If no answer by time I look tomorrow if I have time I'll look in the manual for you.

last time l replaced one, l got the bearing pressed in, then with the hub knuckle(?) (the bit with the bearing in that attaches to the shock ect..) back on the car, l pushed the hub on as far as l could by hand which was enough to get the thread on the drive shaft/CV joint through the hub, put the nut on the end and used a ratchet to do it up and pull the hud into the bearing (dont forget to used a little lube ;) )

prob not the right way, but this did the job for me anyway. hope it helps :)