[moved] KONI/Eibach HELP ASAP PLEASE!!!

HI,

Just in the process of fitting the mentioned system on my VR mk3. Has anyone done this job themself?

When reassembling the springs and shocks, the new lowered spring is so much shorter than the standard spring that there is absolutly no pre-tension at all. Surely this is wrong, as the spring could pop out of the top mounting cup when going over bumps and wheel lifting etc!

I presume that there is only one type of Koni T/A shock and one lowered type spring, anyone know otherwise? I bought them from TSR.

Sorry to be pushy but please leave any replys asap as I really need the car on the road by wednesday!!

Thanks everyone....

Yes, this one caught me out too. My guess is that your car is a 1993 or 1994 model (manufacture date, not necessarily date first registered, which could be 1995)

The top spring retaining caps differ on early and later model Mk3s. 1994 was the changeover year.

The early model retaining cap is smaller than the later one. Most suspension kits are made for the later type, so the caps you've got will be too small for your springs, making the front of the car too low and enabling you to turn the springs with the car jacked up exactly as you describe.

The good news is that all you need to change are the top retaining caps themselves. Get a pair of 1995-> spring retaining caps @ £25 from VW. Although not essential, it's a good idea to change the rubber strut top mounts as well.

The bad news is that you've got to take your front struts apart again to fit them!

Don't drive the car until you've changed the caps, as the springs COULD jump off the caps causing body damage and possible loss of control.

[ Edited Mon Mar 15 2004, 08:00PM ]

[ Edited Mon Mar 15 2004, 08:01PM ]

thanks for the info antera, that'll come in usefull at some point i'm sure.

probably easiets to get the new, later, top mounts then...as yours could prob do with replacing anyway.

may i ask if your rear shocks are top adjustable simlread?

Its a 97 P with the later top mounts (with the slots on the inside). The problem is that with the shock fully extended and the spring expanded, there is still a gap between the top of the spring and the spring cap. I can only assume that I have the incorrect front shocks or springs, however, when you hold the new shock next to the old one, they are the same height. For this reason, I think that the shock should be a shortened version. Either that or the spring is totally wrong.

How much will these springs lower the car by eventually. I was told by TSR that it should be about 25-30mm. This is exactly what I want but am doubtful as the spring is so much shorter!

They are T/A rears BTW.

Cheers