Benefits of swapping to the V5 gearbox

looking to make a few changes over the next few months as the Golf is now SORN.

read up alot on the V5 gearbox change, what are the benefits and negatives of this and also is it really as straight forward a swap as i have read. which is the gearbox code to go for too and do any of them come with the correct flanges needed?

if the box is already out though to change the final drive would it not be easier to just chuck in the V5 box (may be a more expensive route though). loads of people seem to rave about the difference it makes. i'm also slightly worried that my current box is on the way out (may just be poor linkage though)

I've got one sitting here not sure whether to put it in, was going to replace the gearbox anyway and picked this one up... will be watching this thread for the advice :) if you decide you want a V5 gearbox let me know incase I'm getting rid of this one? heard it was pretty straightforward this one came from a mk3

if the box is already out though to change the final drive would it not be easier to just chuck in the V5 box (may be a more expensive route though). loads of people seem to rave about the difference it makes. i'm also slightly worried that my current box is on the way out (may just be poor linkage though)

HotGolf from ClubGTI builds them for about 500, I've just had stealth to do mine, but i supplied both gearboxes, new bearings, seals and ARP diff bolts....

I know know that I have a really strong gearbox, however like any second hand box, you just dont know the condition of it :)

swings and roundabouts... not sure what the gear ratio's are like for the V5's though, but i highly recommend the 3.68 modification in a VR box...

I've got one sitting here not sure whether to put it in' date=' was going to replace the gearbox anyway and picked this one up... will be watching this thread for the advice :) if you decide you want a V5 gearbox let me know incase I'm getting rid of this one? heard it was pretty straightforward this one came from a mk3

[/quote']

ooooh i hope you don't fit it now and i can pinch it haha. its one of those things that sounds like a really good mod, i have read that it can be pretty tragic on the motorway but i only drive mine once a week max and thats just for a good thrash. roughly what did you pay for yours too, i keep seeing very different prices on eBay. keep me posted about yours though

HotGolf from ClubGTI builds them for about 500' date=' I've just had stealth to do mine, but i supplied both gearboxes, new bearings, seals and ARP diff bolts....

I know know that I have a really strong gearbox, however like any second hand box, you just dont know the condition of it :)

swings and roundabouts... not sure what the gear ratio's are like for the V5's though, but i highly recommend the 3.68 modification in a VR box...

[/quote']

i think n£500 would be out of my league right now, but that does sound very interesting.