Today's wise words

I've stolen this from elsewhere but will now use it to guide my life.

A philosophy professor stands in front of his class and fills a mayonnaise jar with rocks that are about 2" in diameter.

The professor asks the class if the jar is full…they agree that it is.

The professor then takes a handful of pebbles and adds them to the jar, shaking it so the pebbles fill the cracks and asks if the jar is now full and again the class agrees.

The professor produces a small bag of sand and proceeds to add it to the jar, shaking it so it fill the cracks and asks the class if the jar is full and for the third time they agreed it is. "Now"…

the professor says…"I want you to use this jar full of sediment as a way of looking at your life…

the rocks represent the things that are most important to you, your family, your partner and your health…things that are the cornerstone of your life."

"The pebbles represent things like your money, your job or your dwelling, things that are important, but can be replaced."

"The sand represents the small things in your life, for instance, what you wear, who you are seen with or where you eat."

"You’ll find, if you put the sand in the jar first, you won’t have enough room for not only the pebbles, but most importantly the rocks."

"The same thing goes for your life, if you spend too much time and energy on the small issues, you focus less on the things that really matter."

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness, play with your children, take your spouse out on a date and find time for that medical checkup, in essences, set your priorities… you must take care of the rocks first, then let the pebbles and sand fill your jar."

As the professor finishes, he receives a standing ovation for his presentation…..

but through the crowd, comes a pupil from the back of the room wearing a backpack.

He goes to front of the class, the student says to the professor…"so you say the jar is now full"

The stunned professor could only watch as the student takes a bottle of beer out of the backpack, opens it and pours it into the professor’s jar.

"So we must conclude that no mater how full your life is…there’s always room for beer!"

• 2 weeks later...