New Electrical Fault 2day...Help

My electric window fuse keeps blowing up. (lasts about an hour). I thought it might have been the vag alarm trying to close the window and not stopping but, the windows go up with the alarm. Might be everytime a turn the ignition off, it blows the fuse. Anybody had similar problems? i have tried both 15 and 20amp fuses, its now blown 5 so its a definate recurring problem. &| ~:(

[ Edited ]

I have been having the same piss take problem in my 1996 golf vr6 highliner. I dont have an alarm, but the windows wind down if the key is turned in the lock for more than 2 seconds. The fuse blows as soon as the ignition is cranked. Its bloody annoying!! I can operate the windows from using the key hole but not from the switches. In my car, its a 10am fuse which runs the a/c, heated leathers, electric mirrors and electric windows. How stupid?? Normally, i get my hand and rumage throught the wires behind the fuse box or move the wires around near the door hinges. This sorts out the problem for about 2 weeks, and then the fuse blows again!! I have spoken to a few mechanics and they say its usually the wiring for the windows in door which goes through rubber seals (near the door hinge) and into the car. Basically, theres a really really shit ground for the windows/electric mirrors. Just because my windows dont work, neither do my reverse lights. I dont know what these germans were thinking when they made the car. How da f**k can you have reverse lights running and windows running off the same fuse.

[ Edited Mon Mar 15 2004, 08:24PM ]

[ Edited Mon Mar 15 2004, 08:25PM ]

best thing to do is, go in yellow pages, find out a mobile auto electrician in your area, TELL HIM WHAT CAR YOU HAVE, and let him come down and sort it out. Trust me its nothing more some bad wiring i.e. bad grounding. Ive actually taken apart the door panels on both sides, trust me, i didnt get no where, i found the wiring a pain to work on.

Pull back the rubber sleeves that go between the body and the doors, and check the wires inside. They are notorious for breaking on Mk3s.

When I bought my VR none of the windows worked. I had to solder together no fewer than four broken wires to get them working again.

amit - your car sounds like you should be wearing a clowns suit with big floppy shoes and a squirty flower on your chest & when you get out your car the doors fall off it all explodes!!! :P:P:P

Sorry mate - it just tickles me when I hear peoples electrical woes!! :D cars that windscreen wipers come on when you open the doors etc.... :D

Jules

if i had a broken wire surely the windows wouldnt work at all. Maybe one of the wires in that rubber is shorting somewhere. Funny things is I install the fuse it works until i switch off the engine, then bang the fuse goes. I hate messing with wiring I thought was A1. have had to many cars with hacked wiring, I hate it!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr.

If the + and - wires are both damaged and touching each other occasionally then it will blow the fuse exactly as you describe. It's worth a look.

There's no "central" control unit for the e/w on a Mk3. Each window has its own control unit, attached to the bottom of the motor. If your wiring turns out to be OK, this is the next place to look. Try disconnecting the r/h regulator and test, then reconnect it and disconnect the l/h regulator. Test again.

[ Edited Tue Mar 16 2004, 08:40AM ]

Another poiter that may be causing the problem is the Micro switch inside the door, I haven't looked into mine yet , but I'm reliably told that they have a NASTY part to play in the operation of the doors/windows. Not figured that one out yet but it maybe worth a look:-)

Regards28v6r

Another poiter that may be causing the problem is the Micro switch inside the door' date=' I haven't looked into mine yet , but I'm reliably told that they have a NASTY part to play in the operation of the doors/windows. Not figured that one out yet but it maybe worth a look:-)

Regards28v6r[/quote']

sorry to sound stupid, but where is this microswitch? do u mean the switch that operates the windows when u press it?

By the way, thanks a lot guys, i'm gonna go and check this out in a mo.

amit - your car sounds like you should be wearing a clowns suit with big floppy shoes and a squirty flower on your chest & when you get out your car the doors fall off it all explodes!!! :P:P:P

Sorry mate - it just tickles me when I hear peoples electrical woes!! :D cars that windscreen wipers come on when you open the doors etc.... :D

Jules

We are all here to actually help each other. If you have nothing better to say, then i suggest you keep it you yourself. (tit)

kind regards!