My mk2 vr6 the bottom end went. Ive replaced the whole block and head and gearbox and now my speedo doesn't work.

Any ideas what it could be?

Also could this be linked to my other problem? The car runs perfectly fine from completely cold then after 3-5 mins of driving the engine is completely gutless and runs like a pig????

I had this a couple of days ago. Have you taken the clocks out at all? If you have, make sure the plug is DEFINITELY plugged back in fully (it should make an audible "snap" type noise when its in). I thought mine was plugged in properly, but it turned out it wasn't and I had no speedo and a very lively fuel gauge!

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed this is in a MK2!

As Tony said, if you've had the gearbox off, then you would have had to remove the Speedo sensor plug off the box.

As you look at the box from above, its almost on the diff at the back. If I remember right there are 3 wires going to it, purple, white/blue tracer and black or something similar. Just double check that connection before doing anything with the clocks.

If it was working before, and isn't now, just retrace your steps and you'll find it.

I replaced the gearbox as well. The plug was plugged in properly :/

I did have a spare gearbox until my amazing parents decided to give my spare block' date=' sensors, spares and box to the metal man!!

[/quote']

Mine did exactly the same with a complete set of alloy wheels from my old Nissan! :@

Piss take when the cars not running right and i did have a spare everything until sunday! And now expect me to pay for the parts I need and a diagnostic test on the car, where I could have just swapped bits till I found the problem!