No cooling fans VW saying fan control

Hi all

After watching the temp gauge rise whilst sat in Mcdonalds waiting for my order and thinking to myself the aircon is a bit warm i decided to check if the fans where working on the rad and if the 40a fuse was blown . I'm sure you all know what the answer is ;)

Luckly i seen the temp so it didnt get to hot and the mcdonalds i was in is by a bypass so took it for some cooling air before going home.

Any how i have read its the resistor's in the fans so i'm ready to strip the front end and replace them :( but VW are saying my 4mo on a 51plate but 2002 doesn't have resistors in the fans and the fan control pack under the battery is the problem £121 inc vat. Now sat on my kitchen side ready for me to fit tomorrow.

Before i use it whats your opinions? Are they telling me the fans don't have resistors in but they do?

• 4 months later...

I've just got round to sorting this problem out. Just in case anybody has the same problem i thought i would post it on here.

When parked in Mcdonalds with the engine running and aircon on which wasn't working very well, the car started to overheat. Luckly i noticed and turned the engine off. The car never overheats.

It turns out the problem is the low speed resistors in the fans fail which blows the fuse on top of the battery and stops the fans working completely. You can tell if yours are faulty buy turning the aircon on when the engine is cold.

The fans should run at low speed if the aircon is on and your fans are not they are faulty.

Vw told me it was the control pack bolted under the Battery but it isn't!

The cure.

£400 odd for new fans from VW which will fail again in a couple of years plus the hassle of fitting them or cost of paying someone to!

Or a Nime fan controller. £99 on ebay 3 wires and 35min later problem solved.

http://www.nime.co.uk/content.php?mk4fans Nime's site

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIME-Fan-Speed-Controller-/290776086338?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b39af742#ht_500wt_969 There ebay

Pity you didn't reply when i first posted :P

I'm now aware its a common fault thanks to Google but couldn't find anything on here which is why i've added to the thread tonight incase others are in the same boat as me.

Can you supply the parts needed? If you can it may help someone who searches for this in the future.

• 3 weeks later...