It seems I have an issue with the coolant in my vr. Noticed it was just under the min mark last weekend so topped it up to max line,checked it today and there was only about an inch or so left in the header tank. There is no sign of any leaks that I can see and there is no oil/water contamination.I did a little google searching and see that the thermostat housing can cause problems.As I am a total noob to the car any advice of this would be greatly appreciated. Also when I got the car there seemed to be some crystalisation around the top of the header tank,the cap hold pressure but could it be this leaking when its hot whilst driving.

thermostat housings are a weak link definitely. plastic housing bolted to the cylinder head, and the rubber seal joining them perishes. it is located at the front right hand side of engine near coil pack. I have had two on my car in three years. "buy cheap buy twice" go genuine. also heater matrix can leak, check for wet carpet on passenger side. water pumps leak, check around the rubber belt on left side of engine. etc etc, basically anywhere. Can you smell it when you open bonnet, coolant has quite a distinctive smell when it's burning on a hot engine.

Thanks mate. Couldnt see any moisture on the water pump side of the engine and the foot well isnt wet .I will have a good look about tomorrow with it running to see if I can spot anything.There is no smell of coolant at all which is a little strange.

I have just done head gasket on mine. the system was pressurising and then it was leaking from thermo and hoses and it was always wet around the expansion cap to. think it had been blowing out the cap overflow. bring back air cooled cars that's what I say.

I have just done head gasket on mine. the system was pressurising and then it was leaking from thermo and hoses and it was always wet around the expansion cap to. think it had been blowing out the cap overflow. bring back air cooled cars that's what I say.

I had the same problem just before christmas, we had checked all the other possibilities and when the head was off it confirmed there was a small leak. Back together now and all good.