The continuing idle/running issue with my Passat.

I bought her back in July 2010.

After a few weeks, I had suspected she wasn't running correctly, on the way back from collecting her, I had issues with lumpy/near stall idling when engine reached 90' but I was told that it was a possible Lambda. This continues to this day. Stalling with low revs and putting load on the engine with using the steering.

After a week of waiting for a genuine lambda, I noticed that both, yes that's right, both Cam position sensors were unplugged. I have no idea how she was still running.

Anyway, starting the engine from cold is fine, no issues. Hot starts can result a large bang and no start. She misfires when hot and under load. She is also sluggish.

Every time I have to stop or dip the clutch in 1st, she nearly stalls. This is at operating temperature. If I moved the steering wheel slightly, the engine cuts out.

With the clutch dipped after load, the revs fall to 500 - 450, the car struggles for a few seconds before leveling out at 800. Any attempt to turn during this period results in the engine cutting out. I then drift to whatever I was pointing at, at the point she cut out.

This is dangerous now and getting on my nerves. I replaced the coolant sensor yesterday and if anything, the car stalls more often when hot and idling.

Replaced the following;

HT leads.

MAF.

2 x Cam Pos Sensors.

Plugs.

2 x lambda sensors.

Coolant sensor.

All Vac areas checked and in working order.

As previously stated, VAGCOM listed the above sensors (except for coolant).

I've just ordered a new coilpack after several "seasoned/experienced" mechanics have said this will be the issue.

However, I've done some digging. Both coilpack issues and fuel injector problems , have the same symptoms listed as happen to mine.

I suppose I'm just looking for some confirmation that I'm not making a mistake buying a new CP instead of buying injectors.

I cleaned the throttle body too. Thin layer of tar every where. I also checked the underside of the manifold for cracks.... having nothing better to do.

2012-04-15185130.jpg

2012-04-15195717.jpg

2012-04-15200521.jpg

Cheers guys.

I was going to suggest the throttle body, but you’ve cleaned that. Have you had the throttle position sensor read on vagcom? I had this issue with my VR sometime last year, had the throttle position sensor read and it was faulty. However, the fault was with my coil pack, ONLY when it was warm. It seemed that when it was warm, the casing was expanding allowing the minute crack to open up and allow the coil pack to arc out. Get the engine warm, and spray a mist of water to see if anything happens, if it misses your coil pack is flubbered!!!!! Best of luck, electrical issues are always a pain in the preverbal

Well, somehow, it seems she has sorted herself out.

I drove her about 50 miles today with a heavy foot between scans. No scan codes after they had been wiped this morning.

I can't tell you how happy I am now. I bought the CP anyway. With this, the car feels much better.

Thanks for your input though, Don.