Anyone know which side the alternator wiring runs on a VR?

I've spent the last 3 days installing an Infinity system (6 channel amp, front comps, rear 6x9's, sub etc) and it sounds awesome when the engine isn't running (!), but I've got the dreaded whine at low volumes when it is.

As the whine gets higher pitched when you accelerate my limited knowledge leads me to believe that it's the alternator wiring creating the problem not the fuel pump wiring.

Also - has anyone got a clever way of sorting it other than re-running the wires that I've now cut too tight to move down the middle of the car?! I was thinking perhaps kitchen foil around the offending wires may help....or maybe that's a stupid idea and will make it worse - I just don't know!?!

I've been at it for 3 days and am nearly out of patience...does sound amazing though....but for that little b*stard whineing noise....

Any help gratefully received!

Suppressor wont kill the problem it will just hide it a bit, maybe!

have you run the main power lead on the opposite side to the RCA cable? (this is a must, DONT put them together)

Have you used a low quality RCA cable (NOT GOOD),

have you got a GOOD earth (bumper mounts not always good as they can be isolated, rear seatbelt mount can be ok)

The RCAs and power are on the same side - but speaking to various ICE bods that's a bit of an urban myth apparantly - and more commonly it's bad earthing that causes it....that said, I'll move the power cable.... :P

Someone has suggested earthing the RCA's (I wondered what the little thin wire on them was for! ?!

The RCAs are all good quality and the earth point is the rear seat belt mount.....I'll try earthing the RCAs first, then if I have to I'll move the power cable to the middle of the car...but that's a sod of a job!

Cheers guys - I'll let you know when I've cracked it!

I'm having exactly the same problem, sounds good with engine off, terrible with it on. I've fitted an inline suppressor and its made no difference whatsoever. I've disconnected my alternator and the noise was still there! I've run a monster earth cable to the head unit and that helps but only when you actually touch the cable on the stereo case, not when you connect it via the stereo multiplug... it's just as bad. I think my HT leads are to blame but can't quite stomach the £140 price tag for a new set that might not be the problem. Someone must know the answer.....please....my car's been in pieces for a month now. :-(

i have been fitting audio in my cars for over 15 years now, and having been an ex-spl competitor, believe that a lot of interference problems to be inferior quality installation or inter-connects! not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here, just some honest advice! the best earth for a stereo system in-car is a seperate one to anything else. and all amps/caps etc should run from that same earth! try uprating the alternator cable/earth point to eliminate whine, although i have no probs with my vr at all! i'm running 4wg cable throughout for power/earth, and it suck plenty of juice with no suppression other than standard fitment, and no interference or whine at all! its always a game of two halves with interference, but common sense and quality always seems to prevail here!

i got 9 years experience in the ICE industry as well, would deff not say its a myth to keep seperate RCA and power cable runs more like a golden rule i'd say!.

it could possibly be one of the amps with a dry joint or something?,

earth should be as close as you can get it to the amps as well, wouldnt advise using the little piece of wire on the RCA's for the remote either, even though the current running through it is small its on the same directional path as the signal and there could easily be some bleed across and add to your interference, i've got 0 gauge running down the passenger side of my VR it's a bit snug but its in and hidden so 4 gauge should be no problem at all, my RCA is run on the drivers side.

If you have to cross power and RCA try to do it at right angles, as Dubloke says earth all audio equipment to the same place and change the earth to the alternator - i'm running 4 gauge for that one

Thanks fellas.

Will first of all try different earth point - then try earthing the HU seperately - then I'll bite the bullet and re-run the cables properly if I can't fix it any other way!

I LOVE installing ICE....erm....yeah....