Hi I'm just looking for a bit of advice, my throttle response is sometimes very poor as is the idle at times, plus its back firing alot. Now this was only happening every now and then but seems to be getting worse and worse, yet at times everything seem so be running perfectly and not having any of these issues, its really weird lol. So the only things I can think of this being the cause is needing a new throttle body, new MAF sensor or lambda sensors, also the air filter on the induction is very dirty but I'll be replacing that soon though anyway. Which of these would you advise to Change first or would it be something else thats causing these problems. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated as this is really startin to bug me now lol, Thanks.

really strange thing happened with my buddy's one as well, did the same:

back fired, acceleration was poor

the blue plug in your thermo housing, take it out and clean it/replace it, 99.9% chance it will be the culprit..

have you checked:

tears in the TB pipe?

that the MAF, Lambda is plugged in correctly?

taken the TPS out and checked if the "trigger" is broken?

Also would help if you can get it VAGCOM'd

a vr6 is a bit worse than a woman, you never know whats wrong until you try and do everything else to make her right lol

check to see if the the plugs are working by taking one out at a time and see if it runs worse that plugs is ok but if its the same could be that plug or ht ! try the cheap easy stuff first before a new MAF and lamber sensor etc etc ! becuase i ahve done that meself !

Start with the easy things and work your way down.

Leads, plugs, coil, air filter, MAF, leaky hoses , fuel filter, fuel pump and anything else mentioned above. Unfortuantely there's a shed-load of things that this could be. Check everyting related to the fuel / air mixture, and (as stated above), a VAGCOM check wouldn't go amiss.

The 'very dirty' intake might be my first port of call. Any crap getting into the engine certainly isn't doing it any favours. Maybe try that injector cleaning stuff also (i'll probably get shot for suggesting that). However, if it's getting progressively worse, it sounds like a part is starting to fail and is on the way out.

If it only happens in the damp / wet (that'll be every day then!), focus on electrical matters first. Taking a plug out and checking it might give you some indication as to how the car is running (rich / lean).

Basically, start pulling bits off until you get a result. :-)

Well all the spark plugs n ht leads are brand new and gapped properly so its not that, i've not long ago replaced the whole cooling srystem except for the radiator, so i'm pretty sure its not the thermostat or the plugs for it, thats why i think its one of the three things i've listed as they are all original parts and the milage is over 100K, just don't wanna replace them all and still run funny lol. Hmmm.... i'll try unplugging the maf n see how that works out, if i do that though will it thow up any lights on the dash n need to be reset on vagcom?

Right I think I've found the problem,

I just went to unplug my MAF and found a little black box taped to the MAF sensor connector, looks like a right bodge of a job by the previous owner (SEE PIC)...

1329763092_13226_FT471038_weird_maf.jpg

The little black box had two wires coming out of it and soldered to 2 of the MAF wires, the Blue and Brown wires, one of them was a Sh!t connection though. So I've cut this lil box free and re connected the wires the way the manufacture intended.

Wow what a difference!!! Throttle responce it bang on and the idle is sitting at 850RPM's which is about right if I remember correctly.

From what I can tell this little black box is a resister which is suppose to send the wrong info to the ECU, so it thinks it needs more Fuel and Air, I've heard of these SH!TTY mods before and seen something similar on ebay before for something like £20 and claiming 30BHP lmao.

At least now its sorted, I'm just hoping that it'll get through its MOT next month now fingers crossed lol

Cheers mate, I know what you mean, I hate fault finding buying new parts and it still not working right lol, thats why I've replaced my whole cooling system apart from the rad, plus I liked the look of blue samcos, so it was a good excuse to splash out on them when I done both the water pumps, thermostat etc.

Right I think I've found the problem' date='

I just went to unplug my MAF and found a little black box taped to the MAF sensor connector, looks like a right bodge of a job by the previous owner (SEE PIC)...

[img']http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_files/public/1329763092_13226_FT471038_weird_maf.jpg

The little black box had two wires coming out of it and soldered to 2 of the MAF wires, the Blue and Brown wires, one of them was a Sh!t connection though. So I've cut this lil box free and re connected the wires the way the manufacture intended.

Wow what a difference!!! Throttle responce it bang on and the idle is sitting at 850RPM's which is about right if I remember correctly.

From what I can tell this little black box is a resister which is suppose to send the wrong info to the ECU, so it thinks it needs more Fuel and Air, I've heard of these SH!TTY mods before and seen something similar on ebay before for something like £20 and claiming 30BHP lmao.

At least now its sorted, I'm just hoping that it'll get through its MOT next month now fingers crossed lol

Glad you got it sorted!!! are you going to burn that little black box cos i know i would ! lol

I'm sure you'd get more satisfaction smashing it into a million pieces with a hammer before u commence burning! Lol I've just had mine chipped properly at stealth to suit my mods. Orite it cost 85 quid + vat but at lest I got a noticeable increase in Power and drivability. Better than wasting 30 quid on eBay junk!