Replacing front splitter

Morning all!

I managed to rip the drivers side front splitter off my VR6 this morning inc. the air ramp. I've managed to find a replacement on ebay this morning and have decided to replace both sides as both were faded, cracked and knackered.

Question is: Is it a fairly easy job? I had a quick look this morning and as far as I can tell it's just clips that hold them on. However, they seem a bit of a bind to unclip and I'm scared stiff of breaking the bumper. Anyone got any tips on removal including the best tools to use? :-)

Thanks,

Dan

The times ive changed mine ive had the bumper off. Aftermaket ones can be a bit of a pita to replace. All you really need to to is raise the car up on axle stands or likes and push the clip upwards whilst pulling to get the old one off.

The times ive changed mine ive had the bumper off. Aftermaket ones can be a bit of a pita to replace. All you really need to to is raise the car up on axle stands or likes and push the clip upwards whilst pulling to get the old one off.

Bumper off, really? What sort of a job is that?

The replacement splitters I'be got are from eBay, Joms from Germany. Do you reckon they might be rubbish and shite to fit?

I always buy this one... http://www.eurowagens.com/en/vw/golf-3-vento/body-parts/vr6-deep-front-spoiler-vw-golf-mk3.html as i have found the Ebay ones to be very brittle... Just check the inner arches aren't attached as mine are screwed into them on each end, once you have undone that just give it a good tug... if it doesn't come off then use a flat head screwdriver to push the tab up as you pull. Its a 5 min job really, no need for bumper off. Ive been through about 5/6 now. :/

I always buy this one... http://www.eurowagens.com/en/vw/golf-3-vento/body-parts/vr6-deep-front-spoiler-vw-golf-mk3.html as i have found the Ebay ones to be very brittle... Just check the inner arches aren't attached as mine are screwed into them on each end' date=' once you have undone that just give it a good tug... if it doesn't come off then use a flat head screwdriver to push the tab up as you pull. Its a 5 min job really, no need for bumper off. Ive been through about 5/6 now. :/

[/quote']

Great advice Nat, thanks very much. I've just cancelled the eBay order and purchased the one you recommended, looks much better being flexible material!! I did notice the splitter was attached to the innner arch but only on the drivers side on my VR6. There's a plastic tray that attachs to the splitter one end and to the inner arch the other. I guess it's some sort of air rump for the airbox?!

It should only be a little screw in there so if you have a stubby screwdriver you should be able to get it off without jacking it up too much, i dont think i bother attaching mine anymore, but if you have the screws there then its prob good to attach it.

I have used the Eurowagens ones for years now and they are very popular as the material is a lot more flexible and it meets properly in the middle whereas the Ebay one I had didn't, plus the price is awesome! :) I always have 2, one on the car and one in the boot just incase ;) lol

It should only be a little screw in there so if you have a stubby screwdriver you should be able to get it off without jacking it up too much' date=' i dont think i bother attaching mine anymore, but if you have the screws there then its prob good to attach it.

I have used the Eurowagens ones for years now and they are very popular as the material is a lot more flexible and it meets properly in the middle whereas the Ebay one I had didn't, plus the price is awesome! :) I always have 2, one on the car and one in the boot just incase ;) lol

[/quote']

Thanks very much Nat. £18 inc postage I paid, brilliant! I'm glad a sought some advice here before commiting to the crappy eBay item!! My membership in this club has been invaluable!! ;)

Will let you know how I get on fitting!! Just wonder if I can fit it without jacking the car up - I don't have a jack!

Morning all,

Fitted the new splitter yesterday and it looks a treat! Was it straightforward...well no! The old splitter just kept breaking when I tried pulling it off despite doing my best to lift the retaining clips - this left a very awkward ridge of plastic within the bumper recess. So armed with long nosed pliers and after much swearing and shredded fingers I managed to remove the old splitter. I'm glad to report that the new splitter that Nat recommended fitted perfectly and the front end of the car looks much smarter :-)

Cheers, Dan