Lowered springs & shocks or coilovers ?

I've bought myself a set of eibach sportline springs (-50mm) but I'm not sure about which shocks to use, which ones give the best ride as I don't want anything to harsh as it's only going to be used on the road.

Also are there any decent coilovers that aren't too harsh for road use ?

imag0226c.jpg

imag0225n.jpg

Cheers

Baz

I have Koni shocks with adjustable damping. I'm very happy with them. I haven't tried any other sports shocks so I can't compare them.

They stiffen the car up enough but are still reasonably comfortable.

I would say any high end shock with adjustable damping should be good.

If I were to go with coilovers, I would choose Koni coilovers with adjustable damping.

Nice looking motor though whichever route you take. Just DON'T buy the cheap ebay ones....They're crap.... so harsh it does become VERY annoying....I'm gonna change mine when I can....... need to pay somewhere in the region of £400 to £500 to get something decent...

well... I am a fan of fixed drop springs and adjustable shocks... (my theory being they're made for the job rather than a compromise of an adjusted spring.... Koni/Eibach is a classic to use on Golfs... they just seem to work well. The key is to ensure you get the adjustable shock... worth doinig a search on line as some kits are great deals. The only thing to add is usually the adjustable shocks are "key" adjust at the front and take off to adjust at the rear. So check this on the kits that you get...

if you are using lowered springs you must use a suitable shortend shock , else it may well cause you problems at mot time. nothing wrong with an adjustable damper and fixed height spring. i ran gaz adjustable shocks and i think eibach springs on my vr6 turbo , it served me well, and did fine on track days

i have just got my self spax gas adjustable shocks a 60mm springs how good are they?

I have never tried them....You have just got some for your car.....why don't you tell us how good they are?

I have heard good things about Eibach springs. The Pro street kit has progressive springs. They are comfortable when you drive slow but they stiffen up when you drive fast. Sounds perfect to me.

They do a Pro street kit with Eibach shocks or you can get the B12 pro kit which has the same springs and Bilstein shocks. I think the Bilstein shocks must be better if Eibach are offering them in one of their own kits on their own web site.

They also do a sportline kit and a B12 sport kit, both of these kits have harder springs that are not progressive and are best for the track.

A friend of mine was running the Pro street kit on his Ford Focus. He says the Eibach kit is more comfortable than the standard springs and handled better. He recomends them. He has sold the Focus now, so I can't see what they are like but he is going to get some for his new mk5 Golf GTi so I will see what the car rides like before and after. If I'm impressed I might get some for my car.