Occasional engine stall when approaching junctions

Hi all

Had this niggling problem for a while now with my '93 vr6 Corrado (98k miles). The engine runs great when cruising and accelerating but sometimes when the clutch is depressed (approaching a junction) the revs drop really low before picking up again to normal idle speed. Sometimes the engine stalls completely.

It's been recently serviced wiith new plugs, HT leads, filters, fluids etc. I've heard the ISV is the usual culprit so I've had this out a couple of times now and giving a good cleanwith 'carb cleaner', I've also just replaced this short 's' shaped pipe which goes between the top left of the engine and the air intake boot becasue it had a big hole on the under side of it.

After all this the engine is idling much better (used to be quite rough) and I thought it was solved but the problem seems to be slowly coming back :(

Anyone got any other ideas?

I've cleaned the throttle body as much as I can without removing it. Would you recommend removing the TB to clean properly or should I follow the directions on the bottle of carb cleaner that says to spray into the TB with the engine running until it nearly cuts out (seems a bit strange to me this as surely any muck will be taken straight into the engine).

I'll certainly clean the ISV again as it's action wasn't very smooth (gunked up a bit) when I removed it for the second clean.

I've had a quote of £185 + vat! from VW for a new ISV but to me there doesn't seem a great deal that can go wrong with the original.

Thanks Mr acf8181

Given the ISV and TB another clean. The things are cleaner now then they probably were in the factory.

Result: 400 miles of the most trouble free motoring I've ever had in this car. Idling like a new car.

So glad this seems to be finally sorted. If it comes back I know what to do now. After all it's only a 10 - 15 min job. :)