Intermittent ticking and oil seepage.

Right, got an intermittent problem with the VR. Noticed the other night when I drove to mates house, 10 miles away (didnt let it warm up enough admittedly) - when I pulled up there was a distinct ticking noise coming from the drivers side, by the belt tensioner...i think? It was a fairly loud solid ticking noise which got faster when I put my foot on the accelerator. I didnt notice the ticking when I first started the car and got driving, its like it started mid journey. Over the course of the week, its only made that ticking noise once since that drive. I will try and get a video of it next time it does it because I know VR's can make various odd ticks and clicks which are harmless.

Its definitely from the drivers side - engines done around 80,000 miles. I know its not a timing chain noise because its not grindy and tinny, it is just a solid tick - like something is catching?? I thought maybe one of the lifters was sticking.

Aaaannnd, Ive also noticed there is fresh oil seepage from around the block -

oil-1.jpg

I know a little bit of oil around there is fairly normal, but how much?? There are no obvious leeks anywhere but there just seems to be alot of it around the engine.

What do you think??

Ok thanks. Ive also noticed now that there is a slight airy noise coming from the engine bay, which I can notice shifting in lower gears - sounds almost like a super charger whistle!

Getting worried now so its going into a garage next week. Is there any easy way of checking the timing chains for wear??

Your timing chains are the other side of the engine than where your hearing the noise. Supercharger noise could still be a worn bearing on tensioner or alternator.

Easy to check pulley, just screw the bolt in on the tensioner and try and turn the tensioner pulley.

If your chains need doing they have a very distintive sound just above tick over like ball bearings hitting a metal surface