[moved] Wot wheels, not again you say!!!

OK, I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times before, but please, humour me B)

I have seen it quoted that putting 17s on the VR6 will impair performance, does this mean overall speed or general handling/drivability !dodge

If you put larger wheels on but keep about the same overall diameter by using lower profile, how does it make a difference ?!

don't know the reasons, but (from experience) if you put 17"s on a car thats supposed to run 15"s it adds about 0.5-1.0 secs to your 0-60, the car will also break away more suddenly on the limit, and worst of all you feel every pot hole intimatly. it may also tramline more.

I've just put 15's back on after 3 years of 16" TSW Venoms - and all I can say is, I wish I'd have done it earlier.... yes - the car handles worse, but at least it now goes mostly in straight lines and can go over small pebbles and blips in the road without any major incident....!

Yes - I'm getting old now - and I just cant be arsed with this "mind the kerb", and "mind that manhole cover" lark..... ;)

Jules

um - me thinks I've fallen into an acf8181 trap!!! LOL!

When on the limit, like on a roundabout, I felt I could balance or place the car more accuratly on the 16's. Sort of point and shoot. I feel with the 15's, that the tyres are bending right over and it feels like the car yaws or rolls more. A bit more squishy.

Jules

My friend is adament it wont make any difference, but taking the mathematical approach I can't get any combination of tyres and wheel to make the same outer diameter so I think I almost understand it.

I'm not sure about the actual profile sizes so I've done a few.

15" = 381mm + 2 x 45 = 471mm diameter

2 x 50 = 481mm diameter

2 x 55 = 491mm diameter

17" = 431.8mm + 2 x 30 = 491.8 mm diameter

2 x 35 = 5011.8mm diameter

2 x 40 = 511.8mm diameter

So generally 15s with 50 profile and 17s with 40 profile right?

If so, then the shorter distance the for one rotation of the wheel means it gets there quicker, if I dig through all my old college stuff i could probably give you a mathematical answer but that was a long time ago and I can't be bothered really. !dodge

I can't get any combination of tyres and wheel to make the same outer diameter

ok so that bit wasn't stricktly true because there are some numbers that match there.

What are the std profiles on std 15s and what are the best profiles for 16s and 17s anyone?

um - me thinks I've fallen into an acf8181 trap!!! LOL!

When on the limit' date=' like on a roundabout, I felt I could balance or place the car more accuratly on the 16's. Sort of point and shoot. I feel with the 15's, that the tyres are bending right over and it feels like the car yaws or rolls more. A bit more squishy.

Jules[/quote']

there is personal tatse to take into acount of course.

the reason most people reckon a car is easier to drive with higher profile tyres (up to a point of course), is that it breaks away more progressively (its starting to breeak away as it flexs, but doesn't ulimately let go until a lot more speed is added), so you start feeling the limit earlier. a low pro tyre hardly flexes at all, and usually lets go in one motion. bit of a poor explanation, but hope you get it.

not that any road car, on any tyres, lets go violently..if you dont believe me, have a go in a single seater then you'll see! lol!

I'm not sure about the actual profile sizes so I've done a few.

15" = 381mm + 2 x 45 = 471mm diameter

2 x 50 = 481mm diameter

2 x 55 = 491mm diameter

17" = 431.8mm + 2 x 30 = 491.8 mm diameter

2 x 35 = 5011.8mm diameter

2 x 40 = 511.8mm diameter

So generally 15s with 50 profile and 17s with 40 profile right?

You've misunderstood the way the sizing works. The "45" is not a measurement in mm but a percentage of the width of the tyre, so there are three factors to take into account when working out the diameter. For ease, let's say we're running 205's:

205/50 R15 : 381.0 + 2 (205*0.50) = 586.0

205/40 R17 : 431.8 + 2 (205*0.40) = 595.8

I think that's the closest you'll get.

I've just put on my original 15" a month back after running a year with 16". All I can say is, I can't wait to gat the 16" back on. I don't know if it's just my preference or what, but the car's back to average handling. On the 16" I could stick to roundabout at silly speeds and cornering is out of this world. Fantastic grip so from a standing start is much quicker too (no wheel spin). Maybe it's a lot to do with wheel width, tyres and coilovers too. I run 9 X 16" rear and 8.5 X 16 front with Toyo Proxes and FK fully adjustable coilovers. Handles like a dream (I do set my coilovers a bit too stiff for some peoples tastes though).

Cheers guys, what jobs do you have where you can look at this site in the middle of day? Lucky bastads ~:(

Nickbee, cheers for that m8, its good to understand these things properly.

Purpline, what profile are you running on the 16s and do you have to do anything extra to ghet the wider tyres to fit?

Simey, 16s have a smaller diameter than 15s eh, they must look diddy. best get the beast as low as possible to cover it up. :)

I'll have to check the profile - can't quite remember. I did fit 9 X 16 all round originally but had problems at the front. I got a smaller rim eventually.

At the front I have to use a 10mm spacer due to caliper clearence. The rears go on fine. I did have the arches rolled and pulled a little. Auto Body Styling in Sheffield are great - they can do anything for a reasonable price (for anyone in the North - I know I had problems finding someone round here!)