haha indicators stops when i brake wtf?!

hi, can anybody shed some light onto my indicator problem please on my mk3 golf vr6 daily, i brought the car with the problem attached,wasnt realy bothered by it, basicaly its got an intermitant problem works fine then stops! and basicaly i just worked out it stops every time i brake! or whilset the brake pedals down! it wont work! then when you release the pedal the indicator works again, strange? so its obviously got something to do with the brake pedal switch,,,, cheers

p.s with the hazards on it makes no differance.

right! just used google search and its a fairly common problem with other makes of cars, apparently a dodgey earth in the lighting circuit is to blame!! anybody have a rough idea of where to check 1st? baering in mind i aint no electrical genious!

• 3 months later...

lol still havent looked into it yet but i need to asap! my friend was behind me the other night and he said my rear lights werent up to much as i was apparently indicating left but i was going right, lol i checked it out and yep the rear lights are also flashing! and the rear indicators are reversed looks very x-masy, this only happens when the lights are on, when there off the indicators just stop when you press the brake pedal, lol iv been drieving it for a while now at night had no idea my rear lights did that!!

any ideas on this? still gona check out the earths first.

cheers for the reply, anywhere in particular i should check first? i know on my corrado theres an earth point inside the tailgate where about 4 earths connect, where is this point on the mk3 golf? as i dont wanna start ripping the interior to bits to find it,

cheers, iv had a quick look at the lights and there earth connections and plugs all seem fine at the rear of the car, i'll investigate further, haha also noticed when the lights are on and i brake the indicators also come on at the rear{ but dont indicate it on the dash lights} ! haha my cars like freekn x-mas tree!! good job i dont have to drive it much..

• 2 weeks later...

right problem solved!! thanks to a m8, turns out the rear light bulb holder circuit board was all corroded, cleaned up and also put another earth connection on the un used socket in on the lights and shes sweet!!!

realy glad he found it as it was quite dodgey to drive when its dark..