Thanks for the advice.

The problem has just got stranger.... there is now a faint buzzing noise coming from the coilpack area all the time whether the keys in the ignition or not and when u try to start it now the buzzing noise just gets lower in tone and nothing happens at all. Any one got any ideas? :(

it dont sound like the coil pack to me, it sound more like the crank sensor, the coil pack rarly just dies, it would usally be missing first, i i were you i would have a good look at the coil pack so see if its cracked, if its not cracked its probley not that, but even if its cracked it might still run, so if the coil pack looks allright i would firstly change the crank sensor on the front right hand side of the engine as this may be stoping your ecu from knowing where where the cilinders are and stoping the ignition, if you change that and still in problems suspect the ecu :-(

as for the buzzing noise its the TB calibrating dont worrie about it, and also dont miss out the possiblity of your fuel pump packing up.

cheers for the reply dude, I found the source of the problem. basically the fusebox was broken around the fuel pump fuse and as a solution someone before me had just jammed two wire terminals into it and put the fuse into them! This had worn out or come loose killing the fuel pump. Quick trip to local scrap yard and £10 for a new fuse box. Problem solved :D