Which turbo diesel?

Hi guys, me and the missus are looking for a (*yawn) family car, now that we have a little nipper on the scene. Looking for some suggestions and advice on what to go for. Criteria is that it must be a 5dr hatchback, but nothing too small, as we need to be able to fit buggy and dog in the boot. MUST be economical (looking for combined 50mpg, preferably), as once my gf finishes her maternity leave, she'll be back to her job which involves driving to various places around the county. No older than 10yrs and price range between £1k - £3k.

The main cars we are considering at the moment are Ford Focus, Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Astra, VW Passat. I would love to go for a Golf, but the missus is being a nob and says she doesn't like the lights on them.

If you have any suggestions for other cars, or constructive comments on the existing cars (i know most of them aint 'dubs, but please try!), it would be very helpful. Thanks :)

Hi dude.. I have plenty of experiance on this lol!

My missus had golf before but we struggled with boot space!

We now have a bora tdi sport 130 and love it! Loads of room and not too big for parking!

The boot space is perfect as we now have two children, a double buggy and still have room for shopping, bags etc when going away!

We get 55 plus mpg.

My mate has a mondeo tdi and has just spent over 1k on new injectors and fuel pump and another mate had a cmax with injector problems..

Cheers Jake! Is that 55mpg combined (urban and long distance), or is that just on a long distance drive? I quite like the look of the Bora's.

It's funny, Mondeo's have always had positive reviews on Top Gear etc, but the more i mention it to the general public, I seem to hear a fair bit of negative feedback.

My Mrs has a 2004 passat highline with the 130 bhp turbo diesel engine and it a great car, its the estate aswel so plenty of room in the boot even though we've 3 dogs 1 being a shepard also get good mileage to a tank of fuel which she needs as she's always out in it, I've got a skoda fabia vrs aswel as the vr and that's a great wee car but probably a bit on the small side for you.

the only thing I will say is try and keep over 115bhp as they tend to be a little sluggish below that.

The best car you can buy that will run for ever is........................... the Skoda.... Remeber Diesels tend to be good for much higer milage by their nature. So dont run form higer milers as long as all belts/chains/history are up to scratch...

It is the previous versions of the VAG car and has all the issues fixed. so you know it can be fixed and insured for virtually nothing... The only thing is to get over the badge...

Outside of that... As a company car we have had the following cars with minimal issues

Audi (A4/6/8)

BMW (3/5/7 series.... big but dirt cheap second hand)

VW (Golf/Bora/Passat)

Mazda (if you can find 'em)

Honda (Accords)

Mercedes (hit and miss - depends... older models E's are better believe it or not)

Hit and misses and perhaps slightly older cars with all the faults resolved (end of model) Were Volvo/Ford & vauxhaull..... but they were a mixed bag... and no real reason why... Just Wierd

good luck

Thanks for your input guys :)

Rod, I had thought about a Skoda and found a decent looking Fabia on Autotrader. Doesn't look great and interior is very basic, to say the least! But.....like you said, it's a VAG engine, just with that name on the badge, which feels a bit dirty to say!

Just realised, the Bora / Passat is a saloon, isn't it? So won't be any good for our dog, unfortunately.

lol We have decided we may consider an estate now. But parking sensors would definitely be a helpful thing to have! There is a nice BMW 320d SE Touring i have seen. Got lots of gadgets, including the parking sensors ;) Also seen an Octavia, which would possibly be a better option, particularly in terms of running costs.

Not bought one yet. Spent most of Friday travelling to see what i was assured was a legit bargain (think he thought that if we travelled that far, we would be committed to going through with the purchase), but it turned out to be a complete dog! Still on the lookout, but we are 99% decided on a 1.6 Focus TD.