Supercharging Issues - Updated

Well Tony came down and noticed the timing was slightly out, I had the choice to change the tappets with second hand ones but decided not too as new ones would be a better option. The car ran so much better but the bolt that tensions the upper chain was not tighten up and oil pissed out, so I did that job and the car idles rough only on a cold start and runs well when warmed up, boost is fine through the rev range.

The only sound is the tappets. What would be the effect of oil coming out of the bolt as it's spring loaded and relies on oil?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that tensioner bolt, is more or less a big tappett ..

it needs oil , but they do wear out .. and it is worth changing it , as it tensions the chains ..

effect would be if it dont work , lack of tension on chains , maybe leading to the chains jumping ( im being uber anal there and worst case )

let me know if you want a price .

Lovely, good to hear the worse!! Well I am currently looking for a low mileage engine which has had it's chains done. I will get new tappets and transfer the cams.

So currently my project is on hold as I don't want to put anymore money into this engine. Cylinder 5 is running the lowest compression of 130 psi when Tony tested.

Jim I will PM you for a quote on a few bits!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being lazy, Thought it best to update the thread.

I decided in the end to get new tappets and have Stealth Racing map the car.

Before any conclusion are made on the mapping this was my choice and based on research.

I felt for my application is was the avenue I wanted to go. Both VInce and Matt have been extremely helpful.

I would also like to say thanks to Jim for calling me and giving me a kick up the ass. And off course all you guys for posting and PMing me.

So next steps.

As mentioned by Jim in my build thread the torque pattern is somewhat off in the high rev ranges and this could be caused by a number of things. So I've done or decided to do the below.

Moved the MAF further away - Done

Relocated the induction kit to the passenger side behind the bumper - Done

Replace the cat with a 200 cpi magnaflow sports cat - Arrives today

Replace the VF engineering recir with a forge 007p with yellow spring - Sourcing the part

Then a tweak remap with Stealth - Planned November time with the MOT.

I really want a little more power and a smoother torque curve and I will post the results in Nov.

Yeah that's a curious drop in the torque curve isn't it! Almost looks like clutch slip or wheelspin or something, but at 5.5K rpms, unlikely!!

8psi is that? It's only 10hp down on where a stage 2 normally sits, but that's with a V9. I have no idea what a V3 is supposed to make.

Keep at it, this is just the start!

• 5 weeks later...